Need Advising on Storage

abt

The current HDD I am using is 3+ years old, and is starting to show signs of dying (Slow transfer speeds, gurgling, constant clicking noises). I can't be sure exactly what specific drive it is, but I know it's a 1TB WD Black.

The thing I need advising on is which new drive to buy. I never really got into learning about all the different drive types and stuff. Now, I don't want to spend more than $100-$115 if it can be helped. I've heard Seagate isn't all that good, and WD seems to be the brand to go with, but if you have any other suggestions then i'd be glad to hear em'.

I'd like atleast a 2TB HDD, or maybe even an SSHD if you guys can find one.

Thanks in advance for the help, you guys rock ;D

Why not just upgrade to a WD Black 2TB? Is it too expensive?

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

Why not just upgrade to a WD Black 2TB? Is it too expensive?

I found a WD Black 2TB for $117 tho

I found a WD Black 2TB for $117 tho

I'd buy that. But then again, Im not you. So buy it if you feel that it is in your price range.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

I thought the WD blacks had a 5 year warranty? 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I thought the WD blacks had a 5 year warranty? 

Yeah but that doesn't always mean they WILL last 5 years :/

Yeah but that doesn't always mean they WILL last 5 years :/

Of course not, but if it's true, and they don't, you don't have to buy a new one - that's what the warranty is for

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

~snip~

Hey there abt,

Could you post the drive's model number? If it's a WD Black it should have 5 years of warranty and should be eligible for a RMA procedure. You should be able to swap it for a new one. Simply check the drive's warranty and do check our policy for RMA returns: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Qj4wBg
If you do need to get a replacement, as the guys pointed out, WD Black is a great performance drive that should serve you perfectly well: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=pRjikO
Another two options for less-demanding usage are WD Blue and WD Green: 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/