1440p Build

reapersivan
Go to solution Solved by dunde,

the 390 is good for 1440p but 60Hz, if you want 144Hz the R9 Fury or better will be very suitable, if you want a bit more longevity, the 390x is the sweetspot imo

Hello I was considering a future upgrade for my PC. OR overall a new build. IS this a good one? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QWW4bv

I know I am missing the case, I would like a sexy one with a window. Is 1440p even worth it with this build? I didn't know what monitor to choose. One that is great and perhaps 144hz? Only 144hz or 120 if it is worth it for my build. Any recommendations?

I would add an SSD maybe a 250gb one later.

Overall budget would be like 1500$. NO OS NOr peripherals needed

sure, the R9 390 is powerful enough to play games at 1440p fairly well.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

sure, the R9 390 is powerful enough to play games at 1440p fairly well.

any recommendations on the monitor?

That won't run well on a 120+ Hz 1440p monitor. 60 Hz it's passable.

I'd recommend going UltraWide 1080p instead of 1440p - at least for the time being.

I already have one. Would 1440p 60hz monitor be worth it? Or should I just use my 1080p one?

the 390 is good for 1440p but 60Hz, if you want 144Hz the R9 Fury or better will be very suitable, if you want a bit more longevity, the 390x is the sweetspot imo

any recommendations on the monitor?

yes, i would get something with Freesync support because variable refresh rate is amazing and once you experienced it there's no going back it's litteraly a game changer and with that if your framerates drop in the 50's you won't even notice it.

Also, the R9 390 is powerful you tweak some settings and you need less anti-aliasing at such a pixel density so there should be no issues playing even the most demanding games at high/very high settings and great framerates.

This one is a very nice Freesync monitor but it's TN:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umhg0aa001

This is the cadillac for AMD GPU's it's IPS but also more expensive:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mg279q

depending on what you play you will benefit from both freesync and high refresh rates, not all games are demanding and with that for example you can play MANY games at 85+FPS actualy...not the witcher 3...but if you play a wide variety of games you will greatly benefit from it...i use a GTX780 at 1440p and i get great high settings and high framerates in just about any games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR