Question regarding what components effect which aspect of gaming?

XylimirGaming

Hello,

So recently I have been adding a bunch of mods to my Skyrim game as I would like to play it again but I've already played the crap out of it in its original form. My game currently locks in around 52 FPS and won't component would be causing this? My initial instinct was that it was the CPU since its having to process all those extra entities. Is this correct? I plan on upgrading to a 980ti at the end of this year and am looking into possibly upgrading my CPU as well. Would upgrading my CPU provide higher framerates in this situation? I know usually CPU upgrades only provide a few frames but clearly this is a special situation that is bringing my computer down to a crawl. Also, if i were to upgrade my CPU, what would be the best CPU to upgrade to? I would prefer to stay on the LGA1150 platform so I don't have to buy a new motherboard as well, unless I could make huge gains by switching to a specific CPU on a different socket. 

I have done some monitoring in and out of these high density modded areas and have noticed that my CPU usage jumps around from 60-90% usage, maybe occasionally spiking to almost 100 when I am looking around rapidly. This is initially why I suspect this could be the bottleneck. Is there a way to measure GPU usage? Currently I can only observe via EVGA Precision X that the fans ramp up to 80-90% speed. My ram sits around 6.9 GB usage so even though I play on expanding to 16GB as well, I don't think this is the issue.

My build:

CPU: Intel i5 4670 k

Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z97 LGA1150 DDR3 mATX

RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Boot Drive: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  

Main Drive Currently Being Used For Skyrim: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM 64MB CacheSATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"  

PSU: Cooler Master i600 - 600W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze 

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Any help, insight, explanation, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hello,

So recently I have been adding a bunch of mods to my Skyrim game as I would like to play it again but I've already played the crap out of it in its original form. My game currently locks in around 52 FPS and won't component would be causing this? My initial instinct was that it was the CPU since its having to process all those extra entities. Is this correct? I plan on upgrading to a 980ti at the end of this year and am looking into possibly upgrading my CPU as well. Would upgrading my CPU provide higher framerates in this situation? I know usually CPU upgrades only provide a few frames but clearly this is a special situation that is bringing my computer down to a crawl. Also, if i were to upgrade my CPU, what would be the best CPU to upgrade to? I would prefer to stay on the LGA1150 platform so I don't have to buy a new motherboard as well, unless I could make huge gains by switching to a specific CPU on a different socket. 

I have done some monitoring in and out of these high density modded areas and have noticed that my CPU usage jumps around from 60-90% usage, maybe occasionally spiking to almost 100 when I am looking around rapidly. This is initially why I suspect this could be the bottleneck. Is there a way to measure GPU usage? Currently I can only observe via EVGA Precision X that the fans ramp up to 80-90% speed. My ram sits around 6.9 GB usage so even though I play on expanding to 16GB as well, I don't think this is the issue.

My build:

CPU: Intel i5 4670 k

Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z97 LGA1150 DDR3 mATX

RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Boot Drive: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  

Main Drive Currently Being Used For Skyrim: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM 64MB CacheSATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"  

PSU: Cooler Master i600 - 600W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze 

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Any help, insight, explanation, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Try using GPUShark to monitor your GPU load.

HWiNFO is a great all around monitoring utility too and would be much better, though it takes quite a bit of time to customize it to an organized and readable overview.

46cd1d66f5.png

Skyrim mods like to eat VRAM, so I would guess that you are hitting the 3GB VRAM limit on the 780.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am playing at 1080p. I do have a lottt of mods running though. (Over 100, many of which are graphical mods)

These are my current plans for the upgrade: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zGfJ3C

I will do a test with GPUShark now.

I'm guessing that the 980ti's 6GB of VRAM would help out a lot in this regard if that is the case..

Thanks for the amazingly quick replies!

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am playing at 1080p. I do have a lottt of mods running though. (Over 100, many of which are graphical mods)

These are my current plans for the upgrade: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zGfJ3C

I will do a test with GPUShark now.

I'm guessing that the 980ti's 6GB of VRAM would help out a lot in this regard if that is the case..

Thanks for the amazingly quick replies!

If you're running over 100 mods and many of them are graphical mods, then you're most definitely hitting the VRAM limit. Are you sometimes experiencing stuttering by any chance ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I'm not really experiencing stuttering, and it's really only one mod in one area that causes this low 20-30. It is the 7K Better Whiterun - City Under Construction - BETA mod. (This is not counting some custom player homes as some of them take it to the extreme with items and its nearly unplayable inside some of them) I maintain 50ish fps when this mod is off. The 50 fps is completely playable for me. I only ask this as although this is way in the future I would reallly like to be able to play this modded skyrim with the oculus rift when it comes out next spring. I know I will need high fps (higher than 52) for this to work and I plan on upgrading my computer this Christmas season in preparation for this rift. I ran GPU shark and took screenshots of the results along with task manager and evga precision x (sorry theyre actual pictures and not screenshots, I couldn't take a 3 screen screenshot when in the game)

When running around and looking around quickly in this dense area (where I get the 20-30fps) I was getting results like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7igrsMuc2UVbWtqYmJzRFJydms/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7igrsMuc2UVdWFJTTdvZUo4UDg/view?usp=sharing

I am not sure how my VRAM can be exceeding the available ha... But I guess thats why I'm on here asking for help ha..

When I am just standing around in this area I get numbers like these:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7igrsMuc2UVZUZ3RjkycmxBZE0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7igrsMuc2UVdktYMERJYTVtTmM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7igrsMuc2UVYlBONTlSa0NlYWc/view?usp=sharing

And if anyone needed this information as well, here is my mod list:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
AOM.esm