Different coolants other than water

Voldy21

I've heard from Jayztwocents along with a guy in the build log section of the forum about using coolants like orange juice. Is that possible? What are the problems with coolant solutions like that? I made a recent post about using tap water as a coolant and got responses about it being corrosive and bacteria living inside the loop. What's the likelyhood that it would happen with other coolants like orange juice?

I've heard from Jayztwocents along with a guy in the build log section of the forum about using coolants like orange juice. Is that possible? What are the problems with coolant solutions like that? I made a recent post about using tap water as a coolant and got responses about it being corrosive and bacteria living inside the loop. What's the likelyhood that it would happen with other coolants like orange juice?

For things around the house tap water is the best thing you can use, just don't use it like that for long(few weeks is fine). Juices will go bad right away, sodas will solidify, and oils just suck(link in my sig)

More vitamin C a day...

Well the thing is you need a biocide or kill coil to go with just plain distilled water to prevent algae or bacterial growth, premade fluids have that stuff included out of the bottle. Orange juice would be pretty out there, but basically a similar issue to tap water with it growing bacteria in it. 

Other fluids like glycol (antifreeze) with a biocide or even mineral oil in a custom loop but that has a bunch of other details.

Edited by W-L

for something like orange juice bacteria would run wild. a biocide might kill them, but orange juice is also filled with particles which would probably cause issues with the pump.

Regarding tap water, it's just that it already carries tiny particles of other metals and materials that it encounted on the way to your tap, which might react with the metals in the loop. but it's nowhere near as bad as other household beverages.

Just don't use anything other than purpose made coolants and distilled water. but tap water can work in a pinch.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Why would you want to put sugar in your loop?

to make caramel.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

They use Mayhems' coolant. But I use "milk" for my rig, not some orange juice.

I use "milk" for my rig, not some orange juice.

I see we've got a cheesemaker in the house!   :lol:

They use Mayhems' coolant. But I use "milk" for my rig, not some orange juice.

That mayhems stuff smells like latex paint actually, wonder how well that would work thinned out xD