Quick question (ESD bracelet)

noisebomb44
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

turn the PSU off  - that'll disconnect the power lines, but the ground line will still work.

--

should mention you need a grounded outlet for this to work. which isnt all too common in some countries....

So when most people build computers they use an "ESD bracelet" in order to not damage the components with static electricity, but when you have plugged in the PSU and turned it on, the "ESD bracelet" isnt needed anymore, right?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

turn the PSU off  - that'll disconnect the power lines, but the ground line will still work.

--

should mention you need a grounded outlet for this to work. which isnt all too common in some countries....

--

ah, ok

Thought you needed to have the PSU on in order for it to work

ah, ok

Thought you needed to have the PSU on in order for it to work

thats a bad thing to do, because the moment your psu is powered on your motherboard is getting +5v

lolwot? You'll end up shorting things with the PSU on..

"shorting things" what do you mean, like breaking things? also i meant that i already had all of the components in when i turned it on (although the motherboard was off)

edit: meant almost all of the components, the only thing missing was like a few fans

Just plug the PSU in but leave the back switch turned off. Then just touch the case or PSU every once in a while.

ill make sure to touch my case and PSU once in a while, it probably gets lonely in there

although i will try to remember not to turn on the power in the future

"shorting things" what do you mean, like breaking things? also i meant that i already had all of the components in when i turned it on (although the motherboard was off)

edit: meant almost all of the components, the only thing missing was like a few fans

If you touch two metal items that contain + - electricity. Stick yer finger in a socket and see what happens.

blackshades on