Wait or nah?

リチャード

So, I'm finally building a new PC as my current one broke one final time today.

But it was the motherboard that gave out, so I was thinking of buying all new things but hard drives, PSU and... I'll either A: Get a new GPU too. B: Keep my current GPU and use that until I wait for the new nVidia cards to hit the market.

Which do you think is the better choice?

PS. If I keep my current card and wait for the next gen, I will get an i7 5820K with a 2011-3 board and DDR4 memory, obviously. But if I get a new GPU now I can't afford that, so I'd have to settle for either 6700K or 4790K.

What say you?

If you're just gaming X99 is totally unnecessary I would just get i5 Haswell or Skylake with a new GPU

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Really depends on what you are using it for...if you are doing a lot of editing and what not then you might benefit from the 6 cores instead of 4. but personally i would go with a 4790K and keep your DDR3 ram and get a new GPU.

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

PS. If I keep my current card and wait for the next gen, I will get an i7 5820K with a 2011-3 board and DDR4 memory, obviously. But if I get a new GPU now I can't afford that, so I'd have to settle for either 6700K or 4790K.

but... skylake is similarly priced to haswell-e... that doesnt make sense...

Oh shit you have the same Radeon as me ! Sup bro represent !

I never use that PC anymore so I'd have to say get a new GPU - everything else in the system was acceptable.

4790k is what I'm using currently and I doubt you'll regret that full upgrade for the money.

If you're just gaming X99 is totally unnecessary I would just get i5 Haswell or Skylake with a new GPU

Really depends on what you are using it for...if you are doing a lot of editing and what not then you might benefit from the 6 cores instead of 4. but personally i would go with a 4790K and keep your DDR3 ram and get a new GPU.

I feel like getting a 6 core instead of a 4 core is that nudge it needs to let me keep it for 2 more years. Also, it's like $100 more than getting a 6700K. Getting an i5 is not my thing. I Overclock and lately I've often been using around 80% on all processing cores on my current quad core, so I feel like investing in a good CPU is worth it. I'm the kind of guy who does a lot of things at once on the computer, then leaves everything open and just lets it pull resources in the background. But I use all of it so often that I can't close anything down because it would be a bother having to reopen things constantly. I appreciate your advice though.

but... skylake is similarly priced to haswell-e... that doesnt make sense...

That depends on whether I get the DDR3 motherboard or DDR4. I would feel like getting a DDR3 would be a waste, since DDR3 hopefully will be extinct in a few years.

Oh shit you have the same Radeon as me ! Sup bro represent !

I never use that PC anymore so I'd have to say get a new GPU - everything else in the system was acceptable.

4790k is what I'm using currently and I doubt you'll regret that full upgrade for the money.

Hahaha, yeah man! She complains a lot and she's getting a bit wrinkly but I still love her.

See, but I don't upgrade all that often. So I rather just getting something better and let it live its days out like I did this one.

PS. 4790K is 7500/8.25 = $900

6700K DDR4 is 9000/8.25 = $1100

5820K is 10000/8.25 = $1200

w/o graphics card, harddrives & PSU.

Then, after a couple months of saving up for the latest GPU... I don't know, I feel like I'm kind of answering my own question here, and my heart seems pretty much set on getting the 5820K. Looking at that measly $200 difference.. for like.. a quite nice performance boost.. or at least life span of the computer..

I appreciate all your comments though. If you think I'm making the wrong choice, then please tell me so :)

EDIT: Looking at some benchmarks the 6700K is actually outperforming the 5820K in all categories, despite the 2 extra cores. And now I'm not sure again.... damnit.

--

for the Z chipsets i can really recommend the MSI krait motherboards, they are visually appealing, come with SLI (y'know, you might one day make use of it)

i recommend them a lot, and i've actually never got quoted with truly negative comments about them. (aside from the usual fanboyism i ignore when i'm not in a trolling mood)

and the reason skylake seems to outperform haswell-e (by a decent amount) even though haswell-e has more cores, is that a lot of gaming-oriented scenarios really cant use those two extra cores all that well... in case you're going to be editing or livestreaming or stuff of that nature haswell-e becomes really appealing. but on the other side, if you're dealing with a lot of single threaded applications skylake has a mindblowingly big advantage, even at stock clock. as well as skylake feeling like a bit too good of an overclocker for intel not to be hiding something.

i have this mini-conspiracy theory intel is hiding a skylake refresh in case ZEN kicks their ass, basicly bumping up stock clocks to make AMD less relevant again.

it feels very weird to me a 4GHz stock part overclocks past 5GHz on air without any problems. finding a haswell i5 or i7 that touched that speed on liquid was pretty rare

I don't think you're making a bad choice - one of the hardest decisions for me was choosing between X99 and Z97 chipsets - and the extra PCIe lanes definitely do come into play for my usage. I tried to downsize a bit, so that's really the only reason I went with Z97: there was hardly any choice for small X99 boards at the time.

If you're not going to regret spending the money then do it. My Radeon needs a repaste - if yours can hold you up til Pascal (if that's what you meant by new nVidias) then definitely do it.

4790k + R9 390X or R9 Fury...

got a 4790k myself and really.... it is all you need for A LONG WHILE... aint a chance in hell you will need a stronger CPU for years.... even if you do, its a "K" model.... so just OC the shit out of it and it will last another year or two easily.