MSI R9 390 Gaming Modding

DanReynolds
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

Yep once you remove the shroud from the cooler you can remove the red accents for paint, they should be held in place by screws as the previous MSI twin frozer designs.

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out, I'm building a new PC at some point next week with a white colour scheme. 

I like the aesthetics of the MSI card but its a shame that it's black and red as obviously black and white would be my choice :P .

It looks like the main red part on the cooler has screws that may make it removable!? 

Link to product page here - the first image shows the screws, if anyone has one and can confirm that I can remove the main red part of the cooler then I'll most probably buy it and spray that part white!

Any help is appreciated.

You can remove the cooler for any GPU it just may void the warranty.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

You can probably mod it, just cover up any part that you don't want any Spray paint on.

-SNIP-

Yep once you remove the shroud from the cooler you can remove the red accents for paint, they should be held in place by screws as the previous MSI twin frozer designs.

You can remove the cooler for any GPU it just may void the warranty.

I know I can remove the cooler from the GPU, I just wanted to know if I could remove just the red accents, Thanks anyways.

You can probably mod it, just cover up any part that you don't want any Spray paint on.

That may be what I'll do with plastidip so I don't void the warranty, may be the best plan of action! Cheers!

Thanks for answering my question to a tee! Just have to decide whether I want to void the warranty or not now!  :P

I know I can remove the cooler from the GPU, I just wanted to know if I could remove just the red accents, Thanks anyways.

That may be what I'll do with plastidip so I don't void the warranty, may be the best plan of action! Cheers!

Thanks for answering my question to a tee! Just have to decide whether I want to void the warranty or not now!  :P

If you don't want to void the warranty you can use plasti-dip which is a removable rubber spray, I have a write up that goes over Plasti-dip here if your interested:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

If you don't want to void the warranty you can use plasti-dip which is a removable rubber spray, I have a write up that goes over Plasti-dip here if your interested:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

Cheers, that's what I was planning on using - just to clarify though, I thought removing the cooler itself would void the warranty? 

Cheers, that's what I was planning on using - just to clarify though, I thought removing the cooler itself would void the warranty? 

Well unless they have one of those paper thin stickers over the screw over the GPU they theoretically wouldn't know, but I believe you can remove the shroud without taking off the cooler itself. When I check the previous version they had screws hold down the shroud under some of the fan blades and on the sides of the cooler.

Well unless they have one of those paper thin stickers over the screw over the GPU they theoretically wouldn't know, but I believe you can remove the shroud without taking off the cooler itself. When I check the previous version they had screws hold down the shroud under some of the fan blades and on the sides of the cooler.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated - MSI it is  :D