PC becomes extremely slow after idling

Cs342

Would defragging the page file solve this???

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yeah, games can be left on the hard drive, you will just have to go into the options in steam and point it to where the library is... Or just re-install them.

And yeah you're right, games don't really benefit from an SSD, Windows and applications certainly do. 

And I don't know, I read somewhere that Windows writes it self differently when installing on SSD because they actually benefit from some fragmentation where as HDD's do not. Either way a clean install will be faster. 

It doesn't actually aid them to be fragmented, it just doesn't aid them to be defragged either.

Defragment you RAID array and see if that helps.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

It doesn't actually aid them to be fragmented, it just doesn't aid them to be defragged either.

Defragment you RAID array and see if that helps.

It does benefit them because most SSD's use 8 channels, so it's best if it can read a file from 8 different places at the same time.

It does benefit them because most SSD's use 8 channels, so it's best if it can read a file from 8 different places at the same time.

No matter what, it's reading from 8 different places (i.e. 8 different chips).

Fragmentation does not affect SSD drive speed.

http://www.micro-isv.asia/2010/12/never-defragment-an-ssd/

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

• 4 years later...

Ive had similar problems with my laptops, but my desktop however doesn't slow down to pieces. my laptop #1 is a dell inspiron mini 1018 with hard drive and 1gb of ram and a intel atom processor, runs smoothly from startup but runs super slow when coming out of a 10 minute idle. laptop #2 is a hp 2000 tpn-i108 with hard drive that is slightly faster than the dell inspiron mini, has a AMD E-300 APU with Radeon that runs at 1.30 GHz, 2.00 gb of ram, runs slow when idled for over 20 minutes. last but not least, the hp Compaq slim elite something that has 4 gb of ram, a Seagate hard drive which 100% blows away both laptops, a intel duo CPU E8400 3.00 GHz, and I idled it for a day after testing it with cinebench, and the results were the same with no slowdowns, it never slowed down. I even left it on for a week straight and nothing changed!! they all run the same os by the way.

Edited by Devyn Risinger
adding info

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue all of the sudden where my desktop would lag after being idle for any length of time in Windows 10.  Found that although the computer was utilizing the High Performance power plan, there is a setting in advanced power options under the Sleep menu that is called Allow hybrid sleep which was enabled.  When I turned off hybrid sleep this issue stopped.  I understand the merits of hybrid sleep but since I have a UPS that is sizable and save my data I am not concerned with losing data on this machine.