Dual Boot Windows 10

xQubeZx

Hello,

So I have gotten a school laptop pre installed with windows 7 enterprise. But really I would have preffered W10 so I asked if I was allowed to upgrade, but they said its not "reccomended" so I don't really know how I should resolv that so I thought why don't I dual boot it (I have an extra copy) so if I get any troubles with the PC the IT guys have their lovley windows 7 ennterprise and I can use windows 10 for my private use. Do you guys think this would be a smart idea?

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Could always backup the Windows 7. Install Windows 10 over top then when you're done just revert to Windows 7 again. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Dualbooting should be an option too. I've never done this personally though... sorry.

blackshades on

Could always backup the Windows 7. Install Windows 10 over top then when you're done just revert to Windows 7 again. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Dualbooting should be an option too. I've never done this personally though... sorry.

Ah well Il try and hope the IT guys don't get pissed xD. But they shouldn't even notice since most of the time I know more than them sadly.

Ah well Il try and hope the IT guys don't get pissed xD. But they shouldn't even notice since most of the time I know more than them sadly.

I know how you feel. The IT guys tried to pressure me into shit before. Brought a police officer in to threaten to arrest me because they didn't secure their systems. No protection what-so-ever.  I laughed and left that school. Teachers at my new school always ask me for shit because the IT guys just tell them to reboot lol. Ridiculous!

Get yer name out there however ya do it.

blackshades on

I know how you feel. The IT guys tried to pressure me into shit before. Brought a police officer in to threaten to arrest me because they didn't secure their systems. No protection what-so-ever.  I laughed and left that school. Teachers at my new school always ask me for shit because the IT guys just tell them to reboot lol. Ridiculous!

Get yer name out there however ya do it.

Haha wow, well it seemd like they didn't care if I fucked up or not xD It was more like yeah you do it but then everything is your problem

Haha wow, well it seemd like they didn't care if I fucked up or not xD It was more like yeah you do it but then everything is your problem

Yeah be careful. IT scrubs may blame you. Try to keep a backup of whatever so you can revert before you give it back. Unless you own it!

blackshades on

Yeah be careful. IT scrubs may blame you. Try to keep a backup of whatever so you can revert before you give it back. Unless you own it!

Yeah going to copy the licens since I dont have that much on it beacuse then I just can get and ISO and reinstall if it goes wrong.

Can you access the BIOS or the boot menu?

If yes, then you could run Windows 10 off an external HDD/USB stick.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Can you access the BIOS or the boot menu?

If yes, then you could run Windows 10 off an external HDD/USB stick.

Yes I can acceses bios, though it seems to be some problems getting it to boot from a USB flash drive

[Edit]

Figured it out. Had to press f9 to get to boot menu and then manually chose usb