Wireless router that allows specific QoS usage

Riddler356
Go to solution Solved by JefferyD90,

in southeast rural idaho, outside of any city century link offers that as the highest with unlimited date, or i could go with digis with 7mb/3mb and have a 50GB data cap wherein every gig after is ~$1.50 (my avg monthy download/upload total is ~370GB-425GB

with my location my mentioned speed is the fastest it gets, and is dsl, the current solution is a zyxel pk5000z, so with 1.5mb/.9mb being max internet, and a pretty sizeable ammount of wireless locan networking being done i don't see how a new modem would be needed, but a router would. if you have a good suggestion i would be happy to hear it because wynaut it might be worth.

A new dedicated modem will give you better consistency of your internet speeds.  It shouldn't get as hot as quickly and provide you with more stable internet.  Something that makes slower internet seem more responsive and faster internet seem less responsive is the latency and jitter.  These are almost always a issue with (more or less) shitty ISP provided modem.  They just aren't as good.  So if you can take your 1.5Mbps/.5Mbps internet and give it a 40ms latency with a <3ms jitter then you're going to notice webpages respond much quicker and games will be much easier to play, streaming video services will start up faster and should even start buffering less.  I'm not going to say it will give you any more actual bandwidth, but it will certainly make things more consistent and responsive.

Not knowing your ISPs technology type, I am going to assume ADSL2+ with a fairly standard configuration...  Here is the parts I'd suggest for the best network you can get.

Modem: http://amzn.com/B0034JSYZ2

Router: http://amzn.com/B006QB1RPY

You will probably have to call your ISP to get your modem configured with their service.  It should be fairly easy and might just work as soon as you plug it in.  I'd suspect no more than 15 minutes on the phone with them, if they don't already have a tutorial on their website.  The total bill for the parts I gave you is $130, well below your requirement.  Not only that you'll get a really good wireless range with this router and both are wall mountable for a clean install look.

The modem is a little bit generic, but this way it will offer a much better capability and just a generally easier user experience.  It also has a great capability to cool itself and it doesn't need the bells and whistles that more expensive ones give you because your router is going to do all those features!  The router itself will come with tons of really great features.  4 Gigabit ports, 2 USB ports so you can use a USB HDD as a NAS, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, external antenna just so you get that extra few feet of wireless range, some of the best default QoS solution available, guest networks so your friends and family can use internet without accessing your files, imbedded VPN ability, and its just quite sexy!

Edit: out of curiousness what service are you paying for?  On their website the "slowest" speed they offer is 10Mbps.  So if you're paying for 10Mbps (they don't advertise upload) and you're only getting 1.5 then I think it is also time to give them a phone call and tell them to fix the route for your network.  If you are just paying for 1.5Mbps then give them a call and say you want their 10Mbps service for $20 a month!

MY internet speed is 1.5mb/0.9mb

it is slow, but it is enough for netflix, downloading, and gaming.

the problem with the current set up i have is there is no qos, and when my brother uses netflix it hogs all the bandwidth forcing 720, even 1080p resolutions with the setting saying to never use those resoutions. and same thing when i go to crunchyroll, what im looking for is a router with QoS (even if it needs to be flashed) that will allow me to guarantee my wii-u 1/3rd the bandwidth, my pc 1/3rd with a sliding scale allowing more if it is the only device in use.

ex. my wii-u is downloading at .5, pc at .5 other devices total .5, the other devices and my pc are turned off, thus my wii-u can take advantage of the full 1.5.

ex.2 my wii-u and other devices are on, my wii-u is at .5+ the devices take the rest, my pc comes on and my pc takes .5, wii-u .5, devices .5

you get the picture, it doesn't need to be a modem as well. price i only have $250 to spend, and lastly it needs external antenna (i have had bad issues with internal antenna router, they always seem to fail when i use them [ over 30 in the past 2 years]).

i tried looking on my own but i can't find any answers that make any sort of sense, or are useful in the least.

thanks in advanced for any and all help.

Nothing to see here, move along

the problem with the current set up i have is there is no qos, and when my brother uses netflix it hogs all the bandwidth forcing 720, even 1080p resolutions with the setting saying to never use those resoutions. and same thing when i go to crunchyroll, what im looking for is a router with QoS (even if it needs to be flashed) that will allow me to guarantee my wii-u 1/3rd the bandwidth, my pc 1/3rd with a sliding scale allowing more if it is the only device in use.

ex. my wii-u is downloading at .5, pc at .5 other devices total .5, the other devices and my pc are turned off, thus my wii-u can take advantage of the full 1.5.

ex.2 my wii-u and other devices are on, my wii-u is at .5+ the devices take the rest, my pc comes on and my pc takes .5, wii-u .5, devices .5

you get the picture, it doesn't need to be a modem as well. price i only have $250 to spend, and lastly it needs external antenna (i have had bad issues with internal antenna router, they always seem to fail when i use them [ over 30 in the past 2 years]).

i tried looking on my own but i can't find any answers that make any sort of sense, or are useful in the least.

Asus AC-68U. Amazing router with tons of features and fast speeds and has a good Qos filter.

I have it myself and can confirm that you can configure the Qos on each device, but is this the fastest bandwidth you can get?

Asus AC-68U. Amazing router with tons of features and fast speeds and has a good Qos filter.

I have it myself and can confirm that you can configure the Qos on each device, but is this the fastest bandwidth you can get?

Exactly what i was going to recommend or even the 87u! (if you want the extra Horsepower)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

If he does go with the 678u or 87u then get the merlin firmware as well, it fixes a few bugs and gives even more features which asus haven't finished yet but they have.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

If he does go with the 678u or 87u then get the merlin firmware as well, it fixes a few bugs and gives even more features which asus haven't finished yet but they have.

Yup that would even be a better choise :) and yes Merlin runs great and has some nice added features.

I forgot that they had the 87u :P thanks.

Yup that would even be a better choise :) and yes Merlin runs great and has some nice added features.

I forgot that they had the 87u :P thanks.

ya welcome, i just bought one 3 days ago so :P

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

ya welcome, i just bought one 3 days ago so :P

Nice, I'm still rocking the 66u which suits my needs perfectly but I've installed and configured multiple 68's.

Nice, I'm still rocking the 66u which suits my needs perfectly but I've installed and configured multiple 68's.

That's awesome mate, i kinda had to work out the hard way not to enable https for login xD that shit is broken hard!

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

ASUS has some routers with some really great QoS abilities.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Another thing, people are recommending the 87U becuase of its great performance, of which it has plenty.  But, the problem with this is that the OP only has a 1.5Mbps connection.  He would have to get a internet connection quite litterally hundreds of times faster to utilize that.  The ASUS RT-56U would be plenty for his needs.  Although if the OP likes to transfer files around their computer and actually use the networking part of their router, then more power to them.

With $250 to spend get a really good modem and then a dedicated router.

If you want a specific reccomendation, let me know.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

in southeast rural idaho, outside of any city century link offers that as the highest with unlimited date, or i could go with digis with 7mb/3mb and have a 50GB data cap wherein every gig after is ~$1.50 (my avg monthy download/upload total is ~370GB-425GB

Another thing, people are recommending the 87U becuase of its great performance, of which it has plenty.  But, the problem with this is that the OP only has a 1.5Mbps connection.  He would have to get a internet connection quite litterally hundreds of times faster to utilize that.  The ASUS RT-56U would be plenty for his needs.  Although if the OP likes to transfer files around their computer and actually use the networking part of their router, then more power to them.

With $250 to spend get a really good modem and then a dedicated router.

If you want a specific reccomendation, let me know.

with my location my mentioned speed is the fastest it gets, and is dsl, the current solution is a zyxel pk5000z, so with 1.5mb/.9mb being max internet, and a pretty sizeable ammount of wireless locan networking being done i don't see how a new modem would be needed, but a router would. if you have a good suggestion i would be happy to hear it because wynaut it might be worth.

A new dedicated modem will give you better consistency of your internet speeds.  It shouldn't get as hot as quickly and provide you with more stable internet.  Something that makes slower internet seem more responsive and faster internet seem less responsive is the latency and jitter.  These are almost always a issue with (more or less) shitty ISP provided modem.  They just aren't as good.  So if you can take your 1.5Mbps/.5Mbps internet and give it a 40ms latency with a <3ms jitter then you're going to notice webpages respond much quicker and games will be much easier to play, streaming video services will start up faster and should even start buffering less.  I'm not going to say it will give you any more actual bandwidth, but it will certainly make things more consistent and responsive.

Not knowing your ISPs technology type, I am going to assume ADSL2+ with a fairly standard configuration...  Here is the parts I'd suggest for the best network you can get.

You will probably have to call your ISP to get your modem configured with their service.  It should be fairly easy and might just work as soon as you plug it in.  I'd suspect no more than 15 minutes on the phone with them, if they don't already have a tutorial on their website.  The total bill for the parts I gave you is $130, well below your requirement.  Not only that you'll get a really good wireless range with this router and both are wall mountable for a clean install look.

The modem is a little bit generic, but this way it will offer a much better capability and just a generally easier user experience.  It also has a great capability to cool itself and it doesn't need the bells and whistles that more expensive ones give you because your router is going to do all those features!  The router itself will come with tons of really great features.  4 Gigabit ports, 2 USB ports so you can use a USB HDD as a NAS, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, external antenna just so you get that extra few feet of wireless range, some of the best default QoS solution available, guest networks so your friends and family can use internet without accessing your files, imbedded VPN ability, and its just quite sexy!

Edit: out of curiousness what service are you paying for?  On their website the "slowest" speed they offer is 10Mbps.  So if you're paying for 10Mbps (they don't advertise upload) and you're only getting 1.5 then I think it is also time to give them a phone call and tell them to fix the route for your network.  If you are just paying for 1.5Mbps then give them a call and say you want their 10Mbps service for $20 a month!

Spoiler

i have already talked to them, in preston, id the slowest offered is 300kbps @$40 per month, $20 with long distance phone, 1.5mbps for $70, $50 with long distance phone, 7mbps $80, $60 phone, and 15mbps for $100, $80 with phone, the rest are buisness only (not even if you offer to pay more), unfortunately out in fairview (rural community next door to preston) our max is 1.5mbps, and on the otherside of a small mountain is franklin which has a max of 7mbps, digis offers faster but at a higher price with insanely small data cap and insane cost for extra data.

also the only modems compatible here are "ASDSL" "VDSL" i called and asdsl2+ will not work at all, if my neighbor tried one and they shut off their internet once they found out and refused service till they got one with one of those specific two.

i have already talked to them, in preston, id the slowest offered is 300kbps @$40 per month, $20 with long distance phone, 1.5mbps for $70, $50 with long distance phone, 7mbps $80, $60 phone, and 15mbps for $100, $80 with phone, the rest are buisness only (not even if you offer to pay more), unfortunately out in fairview (rural community next door to preston) our max is 1.5mbps, and on the otherside of a small mountain is franklin which has a max of 7mbps, digis offers faster but at a higher price with insanely small data cap and insane cost for extra data.

also the only modems compatible here are "ASDSL" "VDSL" i called and asdsl2+ will not work at all, if my neighbor tried one and they shut off their internet once they found out and refused service till they got one with one of those specific two.

Well that modem is ASDSL as well.  And the VDSL standard is simply not very popular.  Its costly for the carrier and it still doesn't compete in speed and bandwidth.  If that is the case, get a Modem only unit from your ISP try to avoid Modem/Router combo units like the plague.

Spoiler

Well that modem is ASDSL as well.  And the VDSL standard is simply not very popular.  Its costly for the carrier and it still doesn't compete in speed and bandwidth.  If that is the case, get a Modem only unit from your ISP try to avoid Modem/Router combo units like the plague.

if it asdsl as well then i should have no problem with it. thanks for the help.