HDD Partitions

Ryoku
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Is it possible to delete a partition and recombine that unused storage back into the main partition?  I have a friend with an older laptop with 3 partitions and even though he has nothing on his os partition its out of space and he can't install updates, but he has 1 completely unused partition.

Hey there Ryoku,

You should be able to do that from the Disk Management. Deleting a partition (this removes all the data from it) should make it into an unallocated space and then you should be able to extend the other partitions. Try uploading a screenshot of Disk Management and the specific drive in it so we can give you better advice. :)

You can use an external drive to save everything you need from that drive, delete all partitions and then re-partition the drive the way you want it.

Captain_WD.

Is it possible to delete a partition and recombine that unused storage back into the main partition?  I have a friend with an older laptop with 3 partitions and even though he has nothing on his os partition its out of space and he can't install updates, but he has 1 completely unused partition.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Yes

Download

Mini Partition Tool 

Yes

Download

Mini Partition Tool 

Thanks for the suggestion but i don't think my friend would be willing to spend $40 to use the program once to merge the partitions (free version doesn't support merge).

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Thanks for the suggestion but i don't think my friend would be willing to spend $40 to use the program once to merge the partitions (free version doesn't support merge).

Just copy the data then hit delete then extend 

yes. however by default you can only extend partitions to the 'right' and remove space from the 'right' on the partition (when looking in diskmgmt.msc on windows). there are other programs that will allow you to move an entire partition to the right, freeing up space, but they tend to cost money (or require a a basic knowledge of linux/unix systems to use their apps). Easiest solution would be to move his documents/pictures/videos folder to another partition/disk with folder redirection.

Hey there Ryoku,

You should be able to do that from the Disk Management. Deleting a partition (this removes all the data from it) should make it into an unallocated space and then you should be able to extend the other partitions. Try uploading a screenshot of Disk Management and the specific drive in it so we can give you better advice. :)

You can use an external drive to save everything you need from that drive, delete all partitions and then re-partition the drive the way you want it.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Ryoku,

Captain_WD.

Thanks Capt I figured we could do this when Arty mentioned copying the data and deleting and extending, It's my friends laptop and I don't have it in hand so I can't take any Screenshots.

Thanks Capt I figured we could do this when Arty mentioned copying the data and deleting and extending, It's my friends laptop and I don't have it in hand so I can't take any Screenshots.

If you get your hands on it, do post some screenshots so if there's something else or any better advice you can get it. 
Taking the drive out of the computer and connecting it to another one and thus manipulating the partitions is also an option. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/