Should I Partition my 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD

BKL

I have build my gaming computer and have a 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD.  I purchased Windows 8.1 pro installed in on my SSD and then immediately upgraded to to Windows 10.  So, now I have Windows 10 on my computer, booting up and working fine.

Now, I was thinking of partitioning my SSD drive so I would just have 100GB allocated for OS adn the remaining 900 GB for files on the SSD; I also would have the 1TB HDD as well.  So, essentially, I'd have drives C, drive D, and drive E between both storage devices.

My problem I am running into is that Windows 10 installed on my SSD automatically and now shows up as part of one giant partiion in my SSD.  If I go to shrink it, I can only shrink it by 500GB, meaning there is then about 500GB for the entire OS - way too much space!  I'm not sure why I'm not able to reduce the SSD partition (perhaps someone could help me with that). 

So I did some reasearch and was wondering - is there really any reason I need to partition my SSD anyway?  I ready that many people don't even partition anymore due to increased reliability, etc.  I already have another HDD drive.  My only concern is if the OS had a problem, but couldn't I always then install the OS on my HDD and then access whatever files I might need on the SSD, in the event of an emergency?  Also I was going to create a recovery USB disk.  I also generally backup any very important files regardless. 

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

The only reason you want to partition is clean installing later. Otherwise it's just a folder. When clean installing you will have an option on which partition to write the os, so the other partition is untouched

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

The only reason you want to partition is clean installing later. Otherwise it's just a folder. When clean installing you will have an option on which partition to write the os, so the other partition is untouched

What if my OS fails, what would I do?  Could I still retrieve the data on the SSD?  That's really my only concern - if I have a mechanical problem I wouldn't think partitioning matters since it's the same mechanical drive.  I'm surprised and not show how I would even partition the drive to 100GB for the OS since it won't let me. 

What if my OS fails, what would I do?  Could I still retrieve the data on the SSD?  That's really my only concern - if I have a mechanical problem I wouldn't think partitioning matters since it's the same mechanical drive.  I'm surprised and not show how I would even partition the drive to 100GB for the OS since it won't let me. 

If the OS dies the partitions lives on. If the SSD dies everything is lost. If the disk manager is not letting you lower it to 100GB, try reinstalling the OS and when it asks which disk do you want to install make a partition in there. To be honest can't imagine why windows wouldn't allow having 900GB partition unless you have so much stuff in the SSD that it can't find the free space. 

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

If the OS dies the partitions lives on. If the SSD dies everything is lost. If the disk manager is not letting you lower it to 100GB, try reinstalling the OS and when it asks which disk do you want to install make a partition in there. To be honest can't imagine why windows wouldn't allow having 900GB partition unless you have so much stuff in the SSD that it can't find the free space. 

No, it's a brand new SSD, so that's why I'm not sure why I can't free up more space, because that would be a lot easier than trying to reinstall windows, etc.  Anyone have suggestions how to get a 100GB partition without reinstalling Windows?