7870 reaching 90s

nekomata

I have a Sapphire 7870, the smal version. I just started playing witcher 3 on a 2560:1080 screen on the lowest setting and I've been getting pretty high temps that do not come up when playing other less demanding game. I live in Surabaya, Indonesia, which is freaking hot and the air has become dry with the dry season and draught. Would changing the thermal paste give any significant difference? Should I just not play witcher 3 for now till I upgrade?

I have a Sapphire 7870, the smal version. I just started playing witcher 3 on a 2560:1080 screen on the lowest setting and I've been getting pretty high temps that do not come up when playing other less demanding game. I live in Surabaya, Indonesia, which is freaking hot and the air has become dry with the dry season and draught. Would changing the thermal paste give any significant difference? Should I just not play witcher 3 for now till I upgrade?

I would also clean out dust if there is any.

Whats your ambient temp?

If its like 45 °C that would kinda explain it.

Try playing with an open side panel, if that helps you need to work on your airflow.

Redoing the termal paste might help a bit if its dried out.

The HD 7870 is a pretty aged card now, so I would imagine the thermal paste is aged and not doing its job well. I would definitely recommend changing out the thermal paste and cleaning out the heatsink extensively.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

^^^^^^ALL OF THIS^^^^^

While you likely won't get it much cooler with extra fans going through the pc or next to the side panel, at least the airflow is moving air faster, which will help a bit.

I'm kinda hoping its full of dust and you have not cleaned it, as well as a repasting, as this will be the best improvement no doubt to the situation.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'll probably get an mx4 for it when I'm back with my PC. As far as cleaning goes, it's as clean as it can be , though I might need to remove the heatsinktk clean places that I can't reach with a brush. I already have a sickleflow running at full speed right beside it