Looking for new HDD and SSD

Hey guys in my current rig I'm just running an Intel 520 120GB SSD as a boot drive with a few important programs on there too and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda storage drive. My 2TB is almost full so I'm looking for a new 2TB-4TB storage drive and likely a 500GB SSD to go with it since I'll move my games over to that finally.

My main question is.... For 2-4TB HDDs which manufacturer is currently most highly regarded, I know some people hate Seagate and say they have ludicrous failure rates but mines been perfect for the last however many years. I've also been hearing that I should stay away from 3TB drives? Is this still true? If so that's unfortunate since they seem to be a bargain.

For SSDs I'm not really sure where to start, the 850 EVO seems to be the go to option for a value 250 or 500GB drive is this still one of the best options?

Thanks!

Get a Samsung 850  EVO for the ssd and some wd blue or Seagate for the hdd

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

I would say Seagate Barracuda 2-4TB, or WD black if you really demand performance. Hitachi Ultrastar are good as well.

For the SSD, you can go with the Samsung 850 Evo or Pro, but they are a lot more expensive. I use a Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB and it's great for the price. Corsair, OCZ and Crucial are good brands as well. Every manufacturer has decent and best performing SSD's, so it's all down to budget, demand for performance and warranty.

~snip~

Hey there JRolley,

It really depends on what you need the new HDD for. I would advise you to look for as many opinions as possible to see the overall trend about which drive is considered good for the type of usage you'd need it for and which is not. 
I can recommend checking out WD Black and WD Green as storage drives. Both have their design and pros and can be a great addition to a build.
WD Black is a performance-oriented drive designed to sustain heavier and longer workloads, capable of great speeds and a good 5-year long warranty. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2jq3w5
WD Green is designed for secondary storage and is great for keeping your massive amounts of data that don't require fast access times. It saves energy and works really cool and quiet, and has a great price per GB value. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=5jvJpy
What do you need the drive for?

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks for the replies, I think what I'll be doing is keeping my 2TB Barracuda for all my non-essential programs and getting a new 2-4TB drive as a mass storage drive for files so a WD Green was definitely something I was considering. Are the 3TB WD Green's alright? I've heard so many bad things about 3TB drives and I just wasn't sure if that issue has been fixed

Thanks for the replies, I think what I'll be doing is keeping my 2TB Barracuda for all my non-essential programs and getting a new 2-4TB drive as a mass storage drive for files so a WD Green was definitely something I was considering. Are the 3TB WD Green's alright? I've heard so many bad things about 3TB drives and I just wasn't sure if that issue has been fixed

WD Green drives are very good for secondary storage, less-demanding applications and data and for massive file storage. They should server you well for this purpose. If you have important data, regardless of the drive, I would always recommend to have a backup copy of it on a separate drive, possibly outside of the computer case (NAS or external drive) for better safety.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Get a Samsung 850  EVO for the ssd and some wd blue or Seagate for the hdd

Comic sans?

Here is a list of HDD prices for anyone not in Australia if that helps recommend either 2, 3 or 4TB and WD, Seagate or HGST.

So the rumor about 3TB drives having really high failure rates compared to other sizes isn't true?

Here is a list of HDD prices for anyone not in Australia if that helps recommend either 2, 3 or 4TB and WD, Seagate or HGST.

So the rumor about 3TB drives having really high failure rates compared to other sizes isn't true?

For Seagate esp, yes. For everyone else not quite so much.

Btw hgst offers as good of performance (if not better) than wd while generally being much cheaper, with even lower failure rates. The niceness of being a less well known brand.

As for the ssd.

The trifecta of cheap yet very very good sata ssds is currently 850 evo, bx100, mx200 (avoid mx100).

If you grab the cheapest of those three you will not regret it.

Ocz apparently isn't bad either now a days, but I'm not really comfortable with them yet.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS