GPU for compute

sans3go

to keep it short which is better for compute application:

one nvidia quadro k4200 

or 

two gtx 980s?

im doing design work, nothing too critical, is the double precision memory worth it?

one nvidia quadro k4200 

or 

two gtx 980s?

im doing design work, nothing too critical, is the double precision memory worth it?

Your call on the double precision but I'd probably go for the 980s without skipping a beat.

Sig under construction.

Not from what ive seen no

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

one nvidia quadro k4200 

or 

two gtx 980s?

Hate to tell you this, but it really depends on the application(and the variables within that application). A lot of the things I do are fine with consumer GPU's, but sometimes when rendering 3D models and running simulations they are basically worthless(and that's with a GTX 980).

im learning with adobe at the moment, photoshop, illustrator and indesign but in the spring probably gonna do some 3d modeling - which i assume with benefit with a k4200?

Hate to tell you this, but it really depends on the application(and the variables within that application). A lot of the things I do are fine with consumer GPU's, but sometimes when rendering 3D models and running simulations they are basically worthless(and that's with a GTX 980).

Compute and workstation are two different things. Double precision is used for compute, but not for most workstation programs like Adobe stuff.

The Quadro K4200 does not have any extra double precision capabilities. It may have ECC memory but I'm not sure. The main difference is the drivers, which might not sound like  much but is actually fairly significant. 

If you're not going to do a lot of gaming I'd go with the Quadro.