Getting new ssd but keeping old files on hdd

Nacho Marco Segui

Hi.im considering buying the samsung 850 120 gb version.Right now im using the Seagate barracuda 1 tb.It is possible to install the ssd,change boot priority to it,install w10 with usb and then run the os with it,but keeping my games on the hdd?

Hi.im considering buying the samsung 850 120 gb version.Right now im using the Seagate barracuda 1 tb.It is possible to install the ssd,change boot priority to it,install w10 with usb and then run the os with it,but keeping my games on the hdd?

My best suggestion is to buy the SSD, install the SSD, then install Windows on the SSD.  Then take your games, move the save files over to the SSD, THEN WIPE THE DRIVE.  Reinstall the games, move your save files back and tada!

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

My best suggestion is to buy the SSD, install the SSD, then install Windows on the SSD.  Then take your games, move the save files over to the SSD, THEN WIPE THE DRIVE.  Reinstall the games, move your save files back and tada!

What if i dont wipe the drive? my internet is so slow and redownloading the games would be a pain in the a**

You can certainly change the boot priority in your BIOS and install a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD.  However there may be issues with moving applications over from your old drive to your new drive without re-installing the applications.  You cannot just copy paste the game installation folders from one drive to another.  If you have Steam games, you can back up the local files and restore them easily without having to download everything over again.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

What if i dont wipe the drive? my internet is so slow and redownloading the games would be a pain in the a**

I cant recommend it.  Just back the games up.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

You can certainly change the boot priority in your BIOS and install a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD.  However there may be issues with moving applications over from your old drive to your new drive without re-installing the applications.  You cannot just copy paste the game installation folders from one drive to another.  If you have Steam games, you can back up the local files and restore them easily without having to download everything over again.

How do you do that with Steam? It just divides every apps/game into Disks which aren't even ISOs.,

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

How do you do that with Steam? It just divides every apps/game into Disks which aren't even ISOs.,

They are backing up the games' installation files, you restore them using Steam.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer