60fps on a 144hz display?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

This is kind of stuff that I'm afraid off since I'm planning on playing games that can reach over 100fps and games that I can only play with 60fps... shoudn't there be an option on your screen where you can change from 144hz to 60fps? At least a friend of mine has a Benq monitor with that options so I thought that if you change to 60hz it should play just like a 60hz screen

Yes you don't have to run the monitor at 144Hz. You can change the refresh rate down to 60 if you want to.

Hey there.

I'm planning on getting a 144hz display and I'd like to ask, is playing at 60fps in a 144hz going to be a problem? For example recent games like the witcher 3, I can only play at 60fps (which will do fine with a 60hz display) but games like cs:go and starcraft, I can reach over 100 fps which cause screen tearing. 

So I'm wondering, If I get the 144hz display will playing at 60 fps diffrent than playing 60fps on a 60hz screen?

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

60fps on a 144hz display is just a pointless way to waste money.

That's where G-Sync/FreeSync come in

Because he had a hard drive.

Hey there.

I'm planning on getting a 144hz display and I'd like to ask, is playing at 60fps in a 144hz going to be a problem? For example recent games like the witcher 3, I can only play at 60fps (which will do fine with a 60hz display) but games like cs:go and starcraft, I can reach over 100 fps which cause screen tearing. 

So I'm wondering, If I get the 144hz display will playing at 60 fps diffrent than playing 60fps on a 60hz screen?

60fps on a 120Hz/144Hz display looks noticeably more juddery than on a 60Hz display.

60fps on a 144hz display is just a pointless way to waste money.

are you kidding me. SOME GAMES will run at 60. and some well over 100. sorry my monitor is a waste of money the second my game drops to 59 fps, I'll be sure to buy a diffrent hz monitor for each game, to save money. 

OP, you will be just fine

60fps on a 120Hz/144Hz display looks noticeably more juddery than on a 60Hz display.

Even locked at 60? seems interesting because "higher refresh" tvs look just fine playing lower FPS content. 

No difference on 144hz and i don't notice with 300 fps screen tearing but u can get 144hz panel if u want but imo not worth since only 2 games benefit it rest no so unless g/free sinc monitor

I thought that at first too, but holy shit, the technology that my ASUS monitor came with to decrease motion blur even at 60 fps, and just using a 144hz monitor in Windows is such a dream.

What are you on?

Can I have the contact info of the guy you buy it from?

are you kidding me. SOME GAMES will run at 60. and some well over 100. sorry my monitor is a waste of money the second my game drops to 59 fps, I'll be sure to buy a diffrent hz monitor for each game, to save money. 

OP, you will be just fine

Even locked at 60? seems interesting because "higher refresh" tvs look just fine playing lower FPS content. 

Yes, even locked at 60fps. I was surprised too.

Most TVs operate at a refresh rate of 60Hz. The "240Hz" etc. numbers refer to other things besides the refresh rate. The TV makers just want you to assume it's the refresh rate, so they don't list the actual one.

This is kind of stuff that I'm afraid off since I'm planning on playing games that can reach over 100fps and games that I can only play with 60fps... shoudn't there be an option on your screen where you can change from 144hz to 60fps? At least a friend of mine has a Benq monitor with that options so I thought that if you change to 60hz it should play just like a 60hz screen

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

Yes you don't have to run the monitor at 144Hz. You can change the refresh rate down to 60 if you want to.

Good to know. thanks!