Moving apps to SSD

Killervolt

Hey everyone,

I bought a Sandisk SSD Plus 240gb at a sale and I want to transfer my files onto it. I already run an 840 EVO as my boot drive and a WD Green for mass storage. So my problem is that I don't want to uninstall all my games and apps (e.g BF4, Adobe Photoshop etc.) from my HDD and then reinstall them on my ssd. If I copied the folders all over into the SSD, how would I find the directory paths for each program and change it? Or is there a better way? Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I bought a Sandisk SSD Plus 240gb at a sale and I want to transfer my files onto it. I already run an 840 EVO as my boot drive and a WD Green for mass storage. So my problem is that I don't want to uninstall all my games and apps (e.g BF4, Adobe Photoshop etc.) from my HDD and then reinstall them on my ssd. If I copied the folders all over into the SSD, how would I find the directory paths for each program and change it? Or is there a better way? Thanks in advance.

For Origin and Steam games there are ways to just drag and drop the files

I dont think its possible (or at least not as easy) for programs like Photoshop etc though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You won't be able to drag and drop programs sorry. For steam it is possible though. Copy the "Steamapps" folder (Local Disk>ProgramfilesX86>Steam>Steamapps>) onto a spare HDD and then copy it back AFTER installing Steam on your new OS install. From there, go to your steam library and find a game you copied and it should only ask you to reinstal it. (you won't need to download it) This also works for Itunes files if you want me to show you how to avoid having to add a new library (:

For Origin and Steam games there are ways to just drag and drop the files

I dont think its possible (or at least not as easy) for programs like Photoshop etc though

You won't be able to drag and drop programs sorry. For steam it is possible though. Copy the "Steamapps" folder (Local Disk>ProgramfilesX86>Steam>Steamapps>) onto a spare HDD and then copy it back AFTER installing Steam on your new OS install. From there, go to your steam library and find a game you copied and it should only ask you to reinstal it. (you won't need to download it) This also works for Itunes files if you want me to show you how to avoid having to add a new library (:

OK thanks guys. Yeah Maybe for Photoshop etc. I will reinstall, but I'll move Steam and Origin games.

OK thanks guys. Yeah Maybe for Photoshop etc. I will reinstall, but I'll move Steam and Origin games.

For Origin games you basically need to use Origin to create a new games folder, then drag and drop the games and when you go to install it origin will detect the game

Similar idea for steam, create a new steam apps folder, and when you go to "install" the game, you point it at the existing game files and steam will detect them

There are also programs like steam mover which can help

There are full guides online if you look :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Let us know how it goes! I'm not sure how Origin works to be honest. I've done it with steam 3 or 4 times though. The reason it doesn't work for Photoshop etc is because you cannot copy installs. Since they are specific to your registry. The way the steam transfer works, is when you click "play" on a game, steam will check if it's in the correct folder, and if it is, it'll proceed to the install stage. (This is you essentially fooling it) Programs don't work since you've already got this step done. (You can copy the .exe's and reinstall that way later)

For Origin games you basically need to use Origin to create a new games folder, then drag and drop the games and when you go to install it origin will detect the game

Similar idea for steam, create a new steam apps folder, and when you go to "install" the game, you point it at the existing game files and steam will detect them

For steam that's unnecessary.  Simply backup the "Steamapps" folder, install steam on the new machine/ssd, close steam, and copy the folder to the same location you originally took it from. Then when you click play on a game in your library it'll work. It won't ask you to point to the files at all, it'll just work. No creating folders just replace the new empty folder on the fresh install.

For steam that's unnecessary.  Simply backup the "Steamapps" folder, install steam on the new machine/ssd, close steam, and copy the folder to the same location you originally took it from. Then when you click play on a game in your library it'll work. It won't ask you to point to the files at all, it'll just work. No creating folders just replace the new empty folder on the fresh install.

He is moving the files to a different drive, ie not the C: - OP already has an SSD as their bootdrive

so he wants to move the steam games from his D: (WD Green) to the new SSD ..eg Drive E: or whatever

He is moving the files to a different drive, ie not the C: - OP already has an SSD as their bootdrive

so he wants to move the steam games from his D: (WD Green) to the new SSD ..eg Drive E: or whatever

Running both at same time? Yeah sorry I didn't catch that. Welp there goes my help.

Running both at same time? Yeah sorry I didn't catch that. Welp there goes my help.

Yeah

You can have multiple drives for steam, I have games on 3 drives in my PC - and when you go to install a new game it asks which drive you want to install on too which is pretty great

Yeah

You can have multiple drives for steam, I have games on 3 drives in my PC - and when you go to install a new game it asks which drive you want to install on too which is pretty great

I read it as him going from hdd to ssd for some reason. As in "upgrade" hence the confusion. I am aware steam lets you do this I just haven't had a use for it yet lol.

I read it as him going from hdd to ssd for some reason. As in "upgrade" hence the confusion. I am aware steam lets you do this I just haven't had a use for it yet lol.

I have too many games to install to one SSD

I have too many games to install to one SSD

Are you running on a 256GB one or something? lol. I don't need all my stuff downloaded all the time.. 

Are you running on a 256GB one or something? lol. I don't need all my stuff downloaded all the time.. 

250gb boot, 512gb ssd for steam, and a 3tb Drive for more games/programs

I dont have them all downloaded... just a selection, bear in mind like BF4 + Hardline + GTA is like 110gb on its own + like say 30 more + Adobe CC files and stuff

yeah...

250gb boot, 512gb ssd for steam, and a 3tb Drive for more games/programs

I dont have them all downloaded... just a selection, bear in mind like BF4 + Hardline + GTA is like 110gb on its own + like say 30 more + Adobe CC files and stuff

yeah...

Sounds about right. Can't wait till I can get that myself. Rocking one 4 hdds and nothing more right now. Kinda annoying lol

Sounds about right. Can't wait till I can get that myself. Rocking one 4 hdds and nothing more right now. Kinda annoying lol

Ordering 4x 3tb Reds on the 25th :D but thats for my server

Ordering 4x 3tb Reds on the 25th :D but thats for my server

Niceeeee. My boot is a 1TB 7200rpm with 3 750gbs or lower hdds as backups. I have about 86% of this in video files so it's annoying constantly moving stuff around for fresh installs xD

So I've just installed the new SSD, formatted it and everything. Now for Origin, I've just copied all the game files from my old HDD to the new SSD. I don't really want to delete them from the HDD until I'm sure that everything works, should I re-install origin onto my new SSD? Would It read the files from there? Thanks

So I've just installed the new SSD, formatted it and everything. Now for Origin, I've just copied all the game files from my old HDD to the new SSD. I don't really want to delete them from the HDD until I'm sure that everything works, should I re-install origin onto my new SSD? Would It read the files from there? Thanks

I think so but there are some guides on line worth following, I actually cant remember how to do it off the top of my head, I just know its possible as ive done it many times before

I think so but there are some guides on line worth following, I actually cant remember how to do it off the top of my head, I just know its possible as ive done it many times before

Ok thanks so much. I will search online. I really value your help :)