Microsoft being misleading about Windows 10 Upgrade for phones

For several months now, Microsoft has been perpetuating the rumor that all Windows Phone 8.1 devices will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile when it is released, but looking at a new phone on their website today, I found this footnote.

"The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier."

*Disclaimer:  The following is merely speculation, but my speculation tends to be a bit more accurate than the likes of WCCFtech.*

My guess is that all Lumia phones with at least 1 GB of RAM will be able to upgrade.  HTC phones with at least 1 GB of RAM will probably get the upgrade as well because HTC has been a rather strong supporter of the OS as far as third party OEMs go.  The Blu Win HD LTE has the same specs as the Lumia 830 (minus NFC and smaller camera optics) so it is probably in as well.  Everyone else, sorry, but you're likely SOL.

I think it's a bit premature to say which phones will and won't get the update. US carriers can be quite terrible when it comes to updates and simply refuse to push them out. That text might just be there to protect them from that.

Right now it seems like only some Lumia phones and the HTC M8 are supported in the insider builds but Microsoft have said that they will add support for other phones later.

If you ask me I think it's best to mentally prepare yourself to not get the update. If you end up getting it then good news! That's how I deal with Android updates.

But for the time being we will just have to wait and see. Windows 10 mobile isn't out yet.