Help Choosing a Motherboard / Thoughts on current idea for build

Hi guys, looking for some help choosing a motherboard for this build.

CPU: i5 4690k

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970

Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

Drives: WD Green 2TB HDD, HyperX Fury 240GB SSD

Probably all built into the NZXT Phantom 530 case using a Corsair CX series power supply to match. Would love all suggestions regarding the motherboard or changes to the build within a similar price range

Depends on the budget so what's your budget

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

UNLIMITED BUDGET - ALL THE $£ƒлв¥¢

Those are loads of foreign currencies BTW :D

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Depends on the budget so what's your budget

Budget is flexible, preferably not ridiculously expensive but I would probably be willing to go up to maybe 350-400 AUD so like 300ish USD

Budget is flexible, preferably not ridiculously expensive but I would probably be willing to go up to maybe 350-400 AUD so like 300ish USD

$300? I'd do Z97-E ($110 USD) and an RM650 ($120). Little extra budget for other stuff.

That sounds pretty decent, not sure whether I would be able to get my hands on a Z97-E or not though. It isn't listed on either of the 2 sites I would prefer to buy from. (pccasegear and au.partpicker).

$300? I'd do Z97-E ($110 USD) and an RM650 ($120). Little extra budget for other stuff.

Do you know of any comparable motherboards to the Z97-E?

That sounds pretty decent, not sure whether I would be able to get my hands on a Z97-E or not though. It isn't listed on either of the 2 sites I would prefer to buy from. (pccasegear and au.partpicker).

Most Z97 boards are the same, so just pick one that's available with the color scheme you like. Any ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte or ASRock will do. Relevant LTT video: 

don't get the RM series psu they are overpriced you can get a better psu for the same maybe even less
Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Most Z97 boards are the same, so just pick one that's available with the color scheme you like. Any ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte or ASRock will do. Relevant LTT video: 

Thank you very much :) really helped me out

don't get the RM series psu they are overpriced you can get a better psu for the same maybe even less

Just making the point that you shouldn't cheap out on a PSU. That's just what I use in my personal rig cause I got a rebate on it so it was ~$80. Love the flat modular cables. :)

Just making the point that you shouldn't cheap out on a PSU. That's just what I use in my personal rig cause I got a rebate on it so it was ~$80. Love the flat modular cables. :)

well its not bad just overpriced seeing iirc its equivalent to the eggs b2 psu
Spoiler

To be honest will probably be about a month until I buy the power supply anyway. Still saving for this but gonna start buying bits now so that I'm not tempted haha.

Think I have settled on the MSI Z97S SLI Krait, fits my colour scheme nicely and has the m2 port that may be able to get a cheeky fill come christmas time.

Hi guys, looking for some help choosing a motherboard for this build.

CPU: i5 4690k

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970

Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

Drives: WD Green 2TB HDD, HyperX Fury 240GB SSD

Probably all built into the NZXT Phantom 530 case using a Corsair CX series power supply to match. Would love all suggestions regarding the motherboard or changes to the build within a similar price range

Hey there DoleNath,

Your CPU is unlocked for overclocking so I would suggest to look for a motherboard that also supports it. you should be looking for a Z97 one. You would also need a aftermarket CPU cooler in order to OC the CPU. If you don't need anything specific from the motehrboard I would simply look for one that has a good balance between good reviews and low price. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/