Need help on how to read SMART data off a SAS expander

Hey guys,

I have my home media/file server setup, and want to know how to read the SMART data from some HDD's in a SAS expander.

The setup is as follows:

Server: WHS 2011

RAID Card: LSI 8888-ELP

SAS Expander: SE3016 (Couldn't tell you which specific expander card it uses)

RAID Manager software: MegaRAID Storage Manager

The SAS expander is connected to the RAID card by an external SAS cable (SFF-8088).

I'm able to use Crystal Disk Info to read the SMART data from the internal HDD's directly connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard. However, the 3 HDD's in the SAS expander don't return any results.

I'm not concerned about any specific issues with the HDD's, as everything is acting in good condition, but I'd like to be able to keep an eye on the SMART data for early warning signs none the less.

Thanks!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

*bump*

Anyone have any insight at all? I haven't had any luck figuring this out on my own.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 1 year later...

I would install SMARTmonTools to get at it low level: http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/

It will spit out your device letters which should correspond to your SAS connectors on the card, assuming you labeled your SAS connectors or they came labeled it should be a one to one matching. If you didn't label them or they didn't come labeled this is the perfect time to do that.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Also, your SAS controller has to have its SMART data selected to be on so it sends it to the OS or so the OS can read it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.