WD MyCloud Cannot be Accessed

mister_s

I just bought a WD MyCloud because I couldn't be bothered setting up my own server solution, and when I plug it in it takes hours to change to a solid blue light from the "booting up" white one, and then once it has it still says that it cannot be accessed by Windows "would you like to Diagnose the problem".

I can only get to it's main page occasionally, and when I do it "encounters a problem" when I try to even accept the license agreement.

I've tried the unplug it for 60 seconds, and hold reset for 45 seconds when powering on method, but the problem persists. Anyone have recommendations?

I just bought a WD MyCloud because I couldn't be bothered setting up my own server solution, and when I plug it in it takes hours to change to a solid blue light from the "booting up" white one, and then once it has it still says that it cannot be accessed by Windows "would you like to Diagnose the problem".

I can only get to it's main page occasionally, and when I do it "encounters a problem" when I try to even accept the license agreement.

I've tried the unplug it for 60 seconds, and hold reset for 45 seconds when powering on method, but the problem persists. Anyone have recommendations?

delete all partitions on it and format it to ntfs

in the disk manager of windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/29322d1253818059-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk-mbr_disk_example.jpg

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

delete all partitions on it and format it to ntfs

in the storage manager of windows

you can do exactly none of that with a mycloud.

its a simple nas solution. not a use external.

What specific my cloud do you have?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Also can you go into your router and see if it is correctly pulling an IP address?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

if its a nas..you should still reformat it

but how are you hooked up to it?

through ethernet?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

if its a nas..you should still reformat it

but how are you hooked up to it?

through ethernet?

Yes they are Ethernet, and the formatting options are pretty locked down for the single drive versions. They use a simple linux based os and a webclient for setup and administration.

Also can you go into your router and see if it is correctly pulling an IP address?

I have the My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB and my router appears to say it has an IP of 192.168.2.43

I have the My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB and my router appears to say it has an IP of 192.168.2.43

is 192.168.2.1 your normal network or was the device previously setup elsewhere and it's just reporting a previously configured static IP?

is 192.168.2.1 your normal network or was the device previously setup elsewhere and it's just reporting a previously configured static IP?

Yes 192.168.2.1 is the normal network that's just how it came and I couldn't be bothered to change it. It's an Asus RT-N12D1 if you're wondering

Did you try resetting the device with the reset button on back? just hold a the button down with pen or pin for 40 seconds and then give it a couple of min to reboot. All the data will be there (in new public directories instead of the private shares they where in.)

WD help page for resetting the device.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432/~/how-to-reset-a-wd-my-cloud,-mirror,-ex2,-or-ex4-drive#mycloud

All you loose is your current device config and user profiles which are probably the cause of your issues.

Did you try resetting the device with the reset button on back? just hold a the button down with pen or pin for 40 seconds and then give it a couple of min to reboot. All the data will be there (in new public directories instead of the private shares they where in.)

WD help page for resetting the device.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432/~/how-to-reset-a-wd-my-cloud,-mirror,-ex2,-or-ex4-drive#mycloud

All you loose is your current device config and user profiles which are probably the cause of your issues.

Yeah, I mentioned that I tried the unplug it for 60 seconds, and hold reset for 45 seconds when powering on method, about 3 times now, but the problem persists.

Actually, I didn't try it with it powered on. That might make the difference, I'll give it one more try

Actually, I didn't try it with it powered on. That might make the difference, I'll give it one more try

Yes, it has too be done with the power on.

We'll tell us if it worked; I'm driving home now so I wont be able to respond for about 40 min but if there is still an issue Ill post something later to try and help.

The white light starts blinking like it's starting up, and then goes a solid white for now. Seems like it's persisting.

Alright, thanks for your help in the mean time

Is it working? Also what OS are you on?

~snip~

Hey there mister_s,

I'd follow @GzeroD's advice and see if it works. How are you connecting the NAS to your network (directly to the router, switch, etc.)? When you go in the router menu, can you see the NAS and its IP? What happens when you enter the IP in the browser? I'd try different browsers and see if that's the problem. Did you follow the installation manual? It should work just fine if you follow the steps. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Is it working? Also what OS are you on?

Hey there mister_s,

I'd follow @GzeroD's advice and see if it works. How are you connecting the NAS to your network (directly to the router, switch, etc.)? When you go in the router menu, can you see the NAS and its IP? What happens when you enter the IP in the browser? I'd try different browsers and see if that's the problem. Did you follow the installation manual? It should work just fine if you follow the steps. :)

Captain_WD.

I ended up getting the unit RMAed after a call to the technical support, thanks for your help!