Should I upgrade to the free Windows 10? I'm teetering..

I want to upgrade to windows 10 because it's a free upgrade, gives my system the latest operating system from microsoft, comes with a bunch of cool toys, and did I mention it's free? I'm just teetering because there are things I'm just curios about. First of all, if I have to reinstall my OS, how do I figure out my CD key? Will it be given to me at the time of installation? Second, I'm sure Cortana will be fun, useful, and all but she'll track everything I do. What privacy do I have? What if I want to do some nasty searches in Google or something along those lines? And games? Will they be compatible with 10? Has anyone had any issues with 10 so far? I'm sure I have more questions, I just can't think of them right now..

If any of you are curious, I'm running 8.1 and just got my notification that my upgrade is ready yesterday.

I want to upgrade to windows 10 because it's a free upgrade, gives my system the latest operating system from microsoft, comes with a bunch of cool toys, and did I mention it's free? I'm just teetering because there are things I'm just curios about. First of all, if I have to reinstall my OS, how do I figure out my CD key? Will it be given to me at the time of installation? Second, I'm sure Cortana will be fun, useful, and all but she'll track everything I do. What privacy do I have? What if I want to do some nasty searches in Google or something along those lines? And games? Will they be compatible with 10? Has anyone had any issues with 10 so far? I'm sure I have more questions, I just can't think of them right now..

If any of you are curious, I'm running 8.1 and just got my notification that my upgrade is ready yesterday.

A lot of these questions I could answer, but I don't know enough to answer properly. All I can say is that you have to remember that a lot of programs haven't updated for Win. 10 yet.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Firstly, you should be able to upgrade, so no CD Key. If you have to reinstall, you can do it without creating bootable media, so again no CD Key. Also, you can revert to Windows 8.1 in the first month (although I would recommend making an Image anyway). Games there will be no problems with that, as Sam Z Man stated. Cortana is indeed fun but I would recommend just disabling it, it is annoying to me. If you want to use it, I am pretty sure you will have to do deal with the lack of Privacy - As I have disabled it, I am not entirely sure with the Cortana stuff. 

I have not had any issues, although Automatic Driver Updates are apparently annoying. You will probably spend a long time trying to get it exactly how you want it, as there are lot of things you should or will want to disable. Basically, in my Opinion, it is Windows 8.1 with a proper start menu.

Hope this helps.

If you're on the fence I would recommend waiting a month before you pull the trigger, just to see what other people you know have to say and give more software time to get up to date. As far as games go nothing that new and exiting yet, but once games start to take advantage of DX12 you will see some decent performance improvements. If you're worried about cortana you can turn her off at any time and get all of your history cleared as well. I am personally very happy with windows 10, but not everyone will be. You have a year to upgrade so there's no rush to make the switch!