BIOS Update

Master Yuki

Hey guys! I used PC Part Picker to build my PC. And I noticed that it says "Some Intel HSI chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPU's" Is this a bad thing? And I heard from somewhere that updating the BIOS is kinda risky...

I want a gaming PC that can run all game 1080p 60FPS!! But unfortunately, I don't have money and I'm too young to have a job XD

Some motherboards come with a BIOS that is not compatible with Haswell Refresh CPUs - you would need to perform an update in order to use the CPU since it wouldn't be recognized. I personally cannot tell you if the system will still work at all even with a BIOS incompatibility.(The BIOS is at least compatible with "normal" Haswell) Updating the BIOS can be risky, but depending on the board you've chosen, it may come with recovery options and if you chose an ASUS board, it may come with USB BIOS Flashback which makes it real easy to update the BIOS. Only the board needs power - nothing else needs to be connected in order to perform it and it relies on standby power.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Some motherboards come with a BIOS that is not compatible with Haswell Refresh CPUs - you would need to perform an update in order to use the CPU since it wouldn't be recognized. I personally cannot tell you if the system will still work at all even with a BIOS incompatibility.(The BIOS is at least compatible with "normal" Haswell) Updating the BIOS can be risky, but depending on the board you've chosen, it may come with recovery options and if you chose an ASUS board, it may come with USB BIOS Flashback which makes it real easy to update the BIOS. Only the board needs power - nothing else needs to be connected in order to perform it and it relies on standby power.

I'm new to these kinds of stuff. So what will happen if the motherboard isn't compatible with the CPU? Will it give me any hints that it isn't compatible? I've chosen the MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA 1150 Motherboard BTW.

I want a gaming PC that can run all game 1080p 60FPS!! But unfortunately, I don't have money and I'm too young to have a job XD

I'm new to these kinds of stuff. So what will happen if the motherboard isn't compatible with the CPU? Will it give me any hints that it isn't compatible? I've chosen the MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA 1150 Motherboard BTW.

If the CPU is completely unusable without an update, the screen will remain black. The system won't be able to POST since the CPU wouldn't be recognized.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That board will almost certainly need a UEFI update to work with Haswell Refresh unless they've done a second revision.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)