Sennheiser HD428 Removable Cable Mod

Benjio

So I didn't really do this out of choice as my roommate ripped the original cable out with a vacuum, but the original cable was pretty low quality so maybe it's for the best anyway. 

I bought a cheap 3.5mm jack, sawed the back off so it wouldn't take up as much space, and soldered it up to the circuit board that the original cable got ripped off of. I hot-glued the jack so it would stay in place.

gQlAXZvl.jpg

It was kind of awkward with how small the connections were and how short the wires were. (Also if you notice the red cable that broke off: I put it all back together without realizing and had to open the whole thing back up to solder it back)

I then did some Dremel work to the back of the speaker housing to make room for the jack.

sVVz1dRl.jpg

I tried to be more careful at first, but it was not an easy process getting it to fit so I gave up on being neat.

Finished product:

hOJ78Fsl.jpg

cXI0mQAh.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The only downside is that now there is quite a bit more bass coming from the left speaker due to the hole I had to Dremel into the back. I'll have to come up with another solution to fix that another day I guess. Thanks for looking.  

Did you loose sound quality or have some noise? If not it's a pretty good mod. For the bass thing try to seal it with silicone or something like that , that should work

Did you loose sound quality or have some noise? If not it's a pretty good mod. For the bass thing try to seal it with silicone or something like that , that should work

Not anything that I've noticed, surprisingly. It worked out a lot better than I thought it would. And yeah I could try that, I'm a little worried that I won't be able to fill it in while still having space for the jack, and if the different sized chamber would then affect the sound even more. It would be interesting to try though.

Not anything that I've noticed, surprisingly. It worked out a lot better than I thought it would. And yeah I could try that, I'm a little worried that I won't be able to fill it in while still having space for the jack, and if the different sized chamber would then affect the sound even more. It would be interesting to try though.

If you try something post it here, it's a cool project