Are laptop SSDs regular SSDs?

So I've been thinking about upgrading my laptop's SSD to a 512GB instead of the 256GB it came with. I know average SSDs are 2.5", and I was wondering if laptop SSDs are as well...? Also, if laptops and desktop have the same exact connector type- obviously some form of SATA, but I don't know if laptops use a smaller type or if it's just regular SATA. Any information people have is much appreciated. Thanks.

Most of the time yes, so long as you do not have an Apple product or certain ultrabooks.

So I've been thinking about upgrading my laptop's SSD to a 512GB instead of the 256GB it came with. I know average SSDs are 2.5", and I was wondering if laptop SSDs are as well...? Also, if laptops and desktop have the same exact connector type- obviously some form of SATA, but I don't know if laptops use a smaller type or if it's just regular SATA. Any information people have is much appreciated. Thanks.

They are the exact same thing.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

yeah they're the same thing.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Just make sure you check what size (physical) SSD you need. either 7mm or 9mm. most devices use the standard 9mm. But smaller laptops and ultrabooks might use 7mm.
It should be the same connectors in most devices but I'm sure there are exceptions.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER