Weird Files on my PC.

Go to solution Solved by Alpha17x,
!Lost&Found is the system's way of organizing data that has technically been deleted.

!Lost&Found isn't a real foler or even a real file. It is hidden in pretty much every view within windows. Even with hidden files configured to show, it will still be hidden.

When you delete a file or multiple files the record of it's location is removed from the drive index, but the data is still there. This allows windows to simply ignore the data with no index record and write over it as necessary.  If windows did a full delete every time by writing zeros over the data, deletes would take a long time, a very long time.

What you're seeing is basically 5gb  of data that you could potentially recover with software, however as you continue to use your system this 'folder' will gradually

change in size.  sometimes it will be bigger, sometimes it will be smaller.  You will never be able to do anything with it because simply put, you don't need to, the information in it has no record on the index so windows will just bulldoze over it when it needs to.

Everyone has this item on their computer in every single PC operating system. It has a different name on each OS but it's always there.  You actually have that hard drive space, you don't have 5gb of space being taken up by that 'file'  because it's not a file. It's a place-holder so windows knows 'here's 5gb of information that neckoblack doens't want anymore, so it can be freely overwritten'

All of the files and folders represented in there, are items you chose to delete already.  

You do not need to deal with this issue, as there is no issue to deal with. It is a normal process and can safely be ignored.

I have Active@killDisk , a programe that wipes clean Disks. In the OS C Drive, there a file that's named

!Lost & Found! that is 5GBs big. I have no idea what it is nor do I know how to get rib of the content. All that there is in there are files with numbers for names that don't correspond to anything. There not system files and I don't know how they got there. Anyone have a clue on what these files are?

No, but I'd just delete it

Project Pluto
i3 4170 MSI H97 PC Mate MSI R9 380 2GD5T @ 1095MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4gb @ 1600MhzWD 1TB Blue • be quiet! Pure Rock • NZXT S340 Black XFX TS 550w • BenQ GW2265HM

I Don't know how. I cant even find the folder outside the Program that is telling me they exist and the programe doesn't give me the option to delete them.

I Don't know how. I cant even find the folder outside the Program that is telling me they exist and the programe doesn't give me the option to delete them.

show us a screenshot?

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Give me a sec

the guys over at bleepingcomputer.com are amazing when it comes to software, would highly suggest you go there if you didn't get the help you needed here.

!Lost&Found is the system's way of organizing data that has technically been deleted.

!Lost&Found isn't a real foler or even a real file. It is hidden in pretty much every view within windows. Even with hidden files configured to show, it will still be hidden.

When you delete a file or multiple files the record of it's location is removed from the drive index, but the data is still there. This allows windows to simply ignore the data with no index record and write over it as necessary.  If windows did a full delete every time by writing zeros over the data, deletes would take a long time, a very long time.

What you're seeing is basically 5gb  of data that you could potentially recover with software, however as you continue to use your system this 'folder' will gradually

change in size.  sometimes it will be bigger, sometimes it will be smaller.  You will never be able to do anything with it because simply put, you don't need to, the information in it has no record on the index so windows will just bulldoze over it when it needs to.

Everyone has this item on their computer in every single PC operating system. It has a different name on each OS but it's always there.  You actually have that hard drive space, you don't have 5gb of space being taken up by that 'file'  because it's not a file. It's a place-holder so windows knows 'here's 5gb of information that neckoblack doens't want anymore, so it can be freely overwritten'

All of the files and folders represented in there, are items you chose to delete already.  

You do not need to deal with this issue, as there is no issue to deal with. It is a normal process and can safely be ignored.