Equalizer settings?

LightCode Gaming
Go to solution Solved by mefirefox,

OH. I forgot to mention I have Turtle Beach X12's. 

Decided to try what you said, 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 as my settings. MUCH better sounding. 

But it seems regular vocals seem a little low. What would fix that?

Bring those down by a factor of 2 and try that. The increased bass is washing out vocals.

Headphone brand, with the exception of "Beats," doesn't make as much difference as you might think with something like an EQ. It's more about overall quality of sound reproduction than frequency response.

Beats have a terrible frequency response and noone should ever get them....ever....

So I just found out my MOBO comes with an equalizer program built in (Sound Blaster X-Fi 3) and I was wondering what you all would recommend for the equalizers settings?

My current one looks like this: http://imgur.com/wj0cZjP

I'll be using this comp for gaming, recording, and editing.

I'm ok with making multiple profiles because they are easy to switch between.

Plus' are bass and voice quality!

Only problem? Mine doesn't give much bass... Idk much about equalizers ><

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

I would flatten, "Level" those out at 0db. If you are using headphones, they should be optimized for a flat output. That way you are getting in your ear what your viewers/listeners will be getting in theirs. By-proxy, you will also be getting what the artists/developers/audio engineers intended. If you are going to modify the EQ beyond flat to get a particular sound and dont have the equipment for it, I wouldn't recomment going more than 3 of those ticks up or down in any direciton. a max attenuation/amplification of 24 db is a lot. To put that in perspective, the rackmount EQ I have next to me has a max adjustment of 12db and I only change it by maybe 4 db on any frequency.

My advice for your bass adjustment would be to bring up the first 3 frequencies 2 or 3 notches. 31hz is barely audible and mostly rumble(but still important to overall sound), but 62hz and 125hz are what we think of as bass sounds. I'm a part time audio engineer so I've got answers if you have questions!

I would flatten, "Level" those out at 0db. If you are using headphones, they should be optimized for a flat output. That way you are getting in your ear what your viewers/listeners will be getting in theirs. By-proxy, you will also be getting what the artists/developers/audio engineers intended. If you are going to modify the EQ beyond flat to get a particular sound and dont have the equipment for it, I wouldn't recomment going more than 3 of those ticks up or down in any direciton. a max attenuation/amplification of 24 db is a lot. To put that in perspective, the rackmount EQ I have next to me has a max adjustment of 12db and I only change it by maybe 4 db on any frequency.

My advice for your bass adjustment would be to bring up the first 3 frequencies 2 or 3 notches. 31hz is barely audible and mostly rumble(but still important to overall sound), but 62hz and 125hz are what we think of as bass sounds. I'm a part time audio engineer so I've got answers if you have questions!

Decided to try what you said, 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 as my settings. MUCH better sounding. 

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Bring those down by a factor of 2 and try that. The increased bass is washing out vocals.

Headphone brand, with the exception of "Beats," doesn't make as much difference as you might think with something like an EQ. It's more about overall quality of sound reproduction than frequency response.

Beats have a terrible frequency response and noone should ever get them....ever....

Did a little more testing and decreasing it by one each step right makes it sound right. Thanks again! You are amazing!