windows 10 in waves.

Fredrikmikael
Go to solution Solved by Mug,

Yeah, you can uee Microsoft's app to download it

And your Windows 7 license will do for Win 10

Hi there! :)

when i press the windows icon in the system tray (win10 reserve button..)

it says win10 is rolling out in waves and i can press a button for it to notify me when it's ready to be installed.

checked my C:\$Windows.~BT  folder and it's a t 1.77GB (not finished downloading the shit)

when it says it isn't ready, is that saying that it isn't finished downloading or that i haven't been sent a windows 10 license?

Anyway to get around this?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

there's no "special" folder on mine .. so, I wait

C:\$Windows.~BT

Show your hidden files

Great! Thanks for the info ;)

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

C:\$Windows.~BT

Show your hidden files

as I said .. there is nothing, that folder does not exist - hidden or otherwise

--

le: I had to reboot

oh joy ... now the icon vanished from the taskbar

wait ... so I can use my W8.1 key and straight up skip the free-upgrade process reservation ?!

If you upgrade it using the tool, you will have NO Windows 10 key, and neither the W7 nor the W8 key will work, so DO NOT do that! Have to roll back now because of that crap.

oh ...

for a moment there :(

If you upgrade it using the tool, you will have NO Windows 10 key, and neither the W7 nor the W8 key will work, so DO NOT do that! Have to roll back now because of that crap.

Could you not choose the "upgrade this computer" option?

My C:\$Windows.~BT  folder is at 6.74 GB and I'm assuming it is done downloading, was last modified yesterday evening...can't wait! :)

Uh wait wut? that's not true.

Have you done it using this method?

Well.. fuck me :'(

fuck_me.png

System

Spoiler

I AM SO CONFUSED

System

Spoiler

Well.. fuck me :'(

fuck_me.png

Woah, where did you see that?

Windows Modules Installer Worker ramping up CPU and HDD usage... O.o

Have you done it using this method?

Yes on 5 computers.

Woah, where did you see that?

hm?

just used the app Mug mentioned - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

but ended up just canceling it in fear of what Benji said:

Yes, you can. But that will upgrade with a generic upgrade key and will not activate it with a new one like the Windows Update one does, which means without buying a Windows 10 license, you will not be able to activate it.

System

Spoiler

Opening that tool just moved around the files in C:\$Windows.~BT...and made a $Windows.~WS folder.

but ended up just canceling it in fear of what Benji said:

He replied again saying that it was okay (five computers to quote him). I will let you know what my experience of using that process is in a minute.

He replied again saying that it was okay (five computers to quote him). I will let you know what my experience of using that process is in a minute.

I have created a custom recovery on my external hdd, so downloading win10 again hoping for the best :)

I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers  :P

System

Spoiler

I have created a custom recovery on my external hdd, so downloading win10 again hoping for the best :)

I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers  :P

Yep, used that method and Windows is activated just fine :)

And now tell me why my Windows uses the generic upgrade license and did not receive its own when going that way? :)

I honestly don't know

Here's proof:

ZResRq3.png