GTA IV Command Line Help?

SlayerOfHellWyrm

Long story short, I've had a bitch of a time getting GTA IV through Steam, to actually save my settings, and I had to keep resetting them. I found a work around for it, however, I have no idea how to get all the settings just the way I want. It involves modding the commandline.txt file, deleting the settings cfg, and then launching directly via the exe, NOT through Steam.

-dx9/high

-renderquality 4
-shadowquality 16
-texturequality 2
-reflectionresolution 2
-viewdistance 49
-detailquality 49
-nomemrestrict
-norestrictions
-width 1920
-height 1080
-frameLimit 1
-refreshrate 60
-fullscreen
-fullspecaudio

After making that change, and deleting the cfg file under %userprofile%AppData\Local\\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings, it's continued to boot with the settings in the above file, however some are still wrong.

Does anyone know the switches for setting the following?

Detail Distance: 50

Vehicle Density: 50
View Distance: 50
Definition: On
Display Mode: Fullscreen
Night Shadows: High
Reflection Shadows: High
Resolution: 1920*1080
Shadow Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic 8x
Texture Quality: High
Water Quality: High

I know some of the settings above, are already set correctly, but some are missing entirely, or not set properly. I know I can play as is, and the settings will remain saved, however I cannot play through Steam. I know how to force Steam to use the command line options I want, I just need the full list of them, so that I can play it on Steam, and not have to re-configure it every time I launch.

NOTE: I know GTA IV is old, and I know V is out... I can't afford, or really run V decently on my laptop, so I don't care about it, and I would just like help getting IV running as I want, if possible.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

snip

edit - sorry posted blank

I had a look through my settings and all i can find are the cmd settings that you already know about how to set. The cfg file is encrypted from what i understand so you cant modify it?

potentially there is some sort of decrypter and that might be able to see those settings?

edit 2 - @SlayerOfHellWyrm

i have seen that you can download other peoples settings online, maybe you can further investigate, you might find a setup that you can just straight import into your system to have the settings automatically apply (found on the gta4-mods.com) - http://www.gta4-mods.com/search/settings

i also seen this on the steam forums regarding unable to set settings in game, but i think you already have those 2 values set - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?s=c48d844dacb50ca699439d43167843de&p=31807146&postcount=14

edit - sorry posted blank

I had a look through my settings and all i can find are the cmd settings that you already know about how to set. The cfg file is encrypted from what i understand so you cant modify it?

potentially there is some sort of decrypter and that might be able to see those settings?

edit 2 - @SlayerOfHellWyrm

i have seen that you can download other peoples settings online, maybe you can further investigate, you might find a setup that you can just straight import into your system to have the settings automatically apply (found on the gta4-mods.com) - http://www.gta4-mods.com/search/settings

i also seen this on the steam forums regarding unable to set settings in game, but i think you already have those 2 values set - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?s=c48d844dacb50ca699439d43167843de&p=31807146&postcount=14

Yeah, I've looked into it, but I haven't been able to find anything that matches, or has all the settings in some value so I can screw with it. As for the not being able to set settings, since I have a 2GB GTX 765M, so I didn't need to explicitly set them, but they were set just in case. As a note, I've spent about 3 hours looking for settings files, and I couldn't find anything that matched well enough.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

NOTE: I know GTA IV is old, and I know V is out... I can't afford, or really run V decently on my laptop, so I don't care about it, and I would just like help getting IV running as I want, if possible.

Hey, i believe you can run GTA V on medium to high settings with your specs.

I am currently running it on medium to high'ish settings on my 4 year old M14x R1 (2011). The frames range from 45 to 55 (hasn't seen it drop below 40) and sometimes higher where its less intensive. It's not much if you require constant 60 fps. But for a 4 year old laptop running a AAA game i couldn't ask anything more from mine.

Cheers

|| M14x R1 || i5 2430M || GT555M - 3GB || 16GB Corsair Vengance || 256GB EVO PRO SSD || 500 GB HDD ||