Random Lag Issue

Gerken

So, I just recently transitioned to a wireless network adapter from a wired connection. (I had no choice.) Everything worked fine on wired, and I realize I'm not going to get the same kind of speeds over wireless, but online gaming is completely unplayable in any game. My speeds are 45-50 down and 5 up, which is completely expected. I seem to just get random lag spikes during any game, and it's also noticeable while web browsing. My drivers are up to date, and I know it's not a hardware issue with my pc. I have a Belkin n600 DB adapter, and a n600 wireless db router. I'm using the 5ghz frequency, and my drivers are up to date, and I've even tried changing the channels. I'm really pulling my hair out here you guys. Here's a pic of me pinging my gateway.

post-4357-0-34077400-1438081978_thumb.pn 

post-4357-0-34077400-1438081978_thumb.pn

When you ping out to to the web, do the ping spikes still occur in the same manor that they occur when pinging your gateway? If they don't then the ping spikes shown are simply the router failing to respond to the pings right away because it's "busy doing other things."

One thing you could test would be disabling all network adapters except for your wifi adapter, and thing running, ping localhost -t, or ping 127.0.0.1 -t, or ping 192.168.2.* -t (Whatever the local IP of the computer on the wifi network adapter is.) which would ping the computer itself through the network adapter (I'm pretty sure.). If you still got the lag spikes there, then it could be the wireless adapter driver causing some kind of overhead issue.

Another thing to test would be changing the channel bandwidth on the 5Ghz channel to 20Mhz. Yes, this will limit the speed at which you can connect to the router on the 5Ghz channel, but it's worth trying. Some equipment fails when trying to connect with 40/80Mhz extension channels. (Not sure if you'll have this option on an N600 router as the 5Ghz channel may already be limited to 20Mhz. You'll probably see an option for 20Mhz, or an option for 40Mhz.)

Try connecting on the 2.4Ghz frequency just to see if you get the lag spikes on that frequency. If it occurs on the 5Ghz, and not the 2.4, then there could be some hardware incompatibilities, or some hardware failure. Try connecting to a friends wifi, or perhaps your phone hotspot, and see if the lag spikes occur on just your belkin router, or if they occur when connected to other wifi networks.

It could be worth going down to a store with a reasonable return policy, like Staples, or Best Buy, where you could buy a wireless receiver, plug it into the computer and see if you have the same issue with another receiver.

Do you have any other devices connected to the 5Ghz? If so, see if the ping results are the same for them.

I've spent nearly the last 2 years working as over-the-phone technical support for 5-10 ISPs (Taking residential & business customer calls), and if their's two things I've learned, one is that turning something off and on again solves ~20% of all issues and two is that wireless is extremely difficult to troubleshoot properly.

When you ping out to to the web, do the ping spikes still occur in the same manor that they occur when pinging your gateway? If they don't then the ping spikes shown are simply the router failing to respond to the pings right away because it's "busy doing other things."

One thing you could test would be disabling all network adapters except for your wifi adapter, and thing running, ping localhost -t, or ping 127.0.0.1 -t, or ping 192.168.2.* -t (Whatever the local IP of the computer on the wifi network adapter is.) which would ping the computer itself through the network adapter (I'm pretty sure.). If you still got the lag spikes there, then it could be the wireless adapter driver causing some kind of overhead issue.

Another thing to test would be changing the channel bandwidth on the 5Ghz channel to 20Mhz. Yes, this will limit the speed at which you can connect to the router on the 5Ghz channel, but it's worth trying. Some equipment fails when trying to connect with 40/80Mhz extension channels. (Not sure if you'll have this option on an N600 router as the 5Ghz channel may already be limited to 20Mhz. You'll probably see an option for 20Mhz, or an option for 40Mhz.)

Try connecting on the 2.4Ghz frequency just to see if you get the lag spikes on that frequency. If it occurs on the 5Ghz, and not the 2.4, then there could be some hardware incompatibilities, or some hardware failure. Try connecting to a friends wifi, or perhaps your phone hotspot, and see if the lag spikes occur on just your belkin router, or if they occur when connected to other wifi networks.

It could be worth going down to a store with a reasonable return policy, like Staples, or Best Buy, where you could buy a wireless receiver, plug it into the computer and see if you have the same issue with another receiver.

Do you have any other devices connected to the 5Ghz? If so, see if the ping results are the same for them.

I've spent nearly the last 2 years working as over-the-phone technical support for 5-10 ISPs (Taking residential & business customer calls), and if their's two things I've learned, one is that turning something off and on again solves ~20% of all issues and two is that wireless is extremely difficult to troubleshoot properly.

Thank you for your reply! :D So, when I ping out to the web and gateway it shows the same kind of spikes. However, when I ping myself, I'm getting good consistent response time. I also did try changing the channel bandwith to 20mhz (Because it was on 20/40mhz) And that didn't change anything. Nor did changing to my 2.4ghz frequency. 

So the issue occurs on both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz, occurs when you ping out to the web and when you ping the router. You can ping the computers local address without high latency.

Could be the router, or it could be the wireless adapter you have for the computer. It's unlikely to be wireless interference as it's occurring on both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz frequencies. I suspect the router more than the adapter.

Here's what you do. Go to a store that has a 1 or 2 week return policy. Staples, Best Buy, etc. Buy a relatively inexpensive wireless adapter, $30-$50 and install that on your computer and unplug your existing wireless adapter. See if the issue persists with the new wireless adapter. If it does, then return the adapter, and look into swapping out the router.