No output on power on - PC starts only if turn off than on quickly PSU. Help!

Go to solution Solved by bramturismo,

It is your PSU.

I had the EXACT same issue 2 months ago, but back then I thought it was my motherboard. So I replaced it, and I still have the same issue if I allow my PC to go into hibernate.

I RMA'd my first CX600 2 months after I bought it. I am now on my second CX600 and I am going to replace it with an Xfx PRO650. I suggest you do the same before it potentially damages your motherboard as well. I found out the hard way that a CX series PSU should not be in a gaming system.

Luckily a PSU isn't hugely expensive, a new Gene motherboard is a whole other story. I had the Gene VI, now I am rocking a Gene VII. And I have no plans to let my cheap PSU kill that nice motherboard...

If you replace your PSU and you still have an issue, then it damaged your motherboard. I hope you still can RMA your mobo in this case.

Hi,
first of all: I apologise if my english is not perfect, and I guess you can see my specs down below for reference.

When I turn on my PC using the power button, the CPU fan starts spinning and the red led strip I have in the case lights up. The problem is: there is no output to the monitor and nothing else turns on (not even chassis fans or the debug led code on the motherboard!). 
Also, when it's in that limbo state (where it's turned on but won't actually boot up) sometimes I found debug LEDs turned on. Not the ones that give me a code. As I said, they're turned completely off in that state. Out of the 4 LEDs (Boot device, VGA, DRAM, CPU) I never found the VGA one turned on; the others I found occasionally on, no flashing and no more than one of this "errors" per failed bootup.
This occurs almost every time after the computer is turned off normally (on reboots/restarts I don't have any problem) since about 1-2 weeks ago. Occasionally it starts like this and after 3-5 seconds it reboots itself (turning first everything off for a second) which is followed by a normal boot up.

Now, of course I tried to troubleshoot this on my own but I can't find a pattern or a cause. I tried using 1 stick of ram but no difference. I don't actually know what the problem is since every single component seems to work perfectly once the PC starts up. 
Yes, I found a way to boot up the computer... But it's no elegant solution and nothing I'll be comfortable doing for much longer.
Basically when it's stuck without any output I turn off than turn on quickly the rear PSU switch and, after the half a second without power, everything turns on automatically (including chassis fans, hdds, debug code led etc.) and the computer boots up normally.

Does any of you have an idea of what it can be and how I can solve it?
Thank you.

Intel i5-3570K @ 4,2Ghz
ASUS Maximus V Gene
16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz
Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB
Samsung 120GB 840 SSD + 1TB WD Black + 2TB WD Green
Corsair CX600

It's most likely either a problem with your PSU or GPU; one will likely need to be replaced.

Either it's struggling to provide power to the GPU, or the GPU just isn't cooperating.

Does your GPU's fans turn on and spin?

Plug in a system speaker and listen for beeps. If it just does the boot beep, it may be booting normally and just not powering your GPU.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

It's most likely either a problem with your PSU or GPU; one will likely need to be replaced.

Either it's struggling to provide power to the GPU, or the GPU just isn't cooperating.

Does your GPU's fans turn on and spin?

Plug in a system speaker and listen for beeps. If it just does the boot beep, it may be booting normally and just not powering your GPU.

Nope. There is no beep on speakers, the power is plenty (600w for a 660 non-Ti) and my GPU works fine. Heck, I even run Arkham Knight without any problem/glitch! (not so common with that game)

It seems to not-start the power on procedure... As I said only the CPU fan turns on, even if every other fan is connected to the mobo, and the mobo does not show any debug code, not even 00.

As soon as I do that trick with the PSU switch everything starts just like normal. I think it MIGHT be a problem with the motherboard but it seems very weird since, when it does power on, everything works perfectly.

Nope. There is no beep on speakers, the power is plenty (600w for a 660 non-Ti) and my GPU works fine. Heck, I even run Arkham Knight without any problem/glitch! (not so common with that game)

It seems to not-start the power on procedure... As I said only the CPU fan turns on, even if every other fan is connected to the mobo, and the mobo does not show any debug code, not even 00.

As soon as I do that trick with the PSU switch everything starts just like normal. I think it MIGHT be a problem with the motherboard but it seems very weird since, when it does power on, everything works perfectly.

Either than the motherboard or power supply, then.

Personally, I'd start with the power supply since it's easier to swap.

Either than the motherboard or power supply, then.

Personally, I'd start with the power supply since it's easier to swap.

Not so easy after the time I spent managing the cables in a lovely way.

I don't know... It's hard to imagine it as a hardware problem since everything works fine during use and even on restarts etc.

I should add that the bios is up to date and I checked bios/overclock settings; everything seems fine.

Could it be just a miscommunication in the motherboard of the "power on" command sent through the front panel connectors? (just thinking out loud, don't know if it makes any sense)

Maybe I should try using the power on button on the motherboard itself...

Not so easy after the time I spent managing the cables in a lovely way.

I don't know... It's hard to imagine it as a hardware problem since everything works fine during use and even on restarts etc.

I should add that the bios is up to date and I checked bios/overclock settings; everything seems fine.

Could it be just a miscommunication in the motherboard of the "power on" command sent through the front panel connectors? (just thinking out loud, don't know if it makes any sense)

Maybe I should try using the power on button on the motherboard itself...

Not a modular PSU? D:

I would try the motherboard power button first, yes. Then double-check your pin placement for the power switch. Overall, I'd say it's not the front switch since it still turns something on.

I would try the motherboard power button first, yes.

If it works properly:

On my 2nd PC, its' power button broke after behaving weirdly, for a long time. Problem is that if the power button doesn't "come back" (it or the spring inside get stuck somewhere) after you press it, it might behave like it's been pressed down = 2 or 3 second and - Reset or shut down. Very annoying. So I simply started to use reset as power and power as nothing at all. 

Check the MB power button then PSU.

You could always boot it up without the button. The case button just shorts 2 pins on the MB and you can do it with a screwdriver(friend of mine wasn't using a case and this is how he would start his computer before soldering a normal button).

From what I see its either a faulty PSU or there's a short circuit on the MB.

~snip~

Hey Sbeeer,

I would try booting the PC only with 1 stick, no storage drives and no GPU and see if it goes into BIOS with no problems. If it does than the problem should be coming from the GPU. If it's still struggling then I would test if the PSU is functioning properly. You can find ways to do that in the internet with a multimeter or take it to a technician to do it for you. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I would try the motherboard power button first, yes.

Check the MB power button then PSU. 

From what I see its either a faulty PSU or there's a short circuit on the MB.

I tried the MB switch. Of course there is no difference.

I'm scared it really might be some problem with the MB. The warranty just expired... (I bought it just over 2 years ago)

Hey Sbeeer,

I would try booting the PC only with 1 stick, no storage drives and no GPU and see if it goes into BIOS with no problems. If it does than the problem should be coming from the GPU. If it's still struggling then I would test if the PSU is functioning properly. You can find ways to do that in the internet with a multimeter or take it to a technician to do it for you. :)
Captain_WD.

Hey!

I'll try that this evening, using the occasion to clean everything up.

I kind of am a technician: I have a diploma on electronics :) (I think it's equivalent to your highschool + 2 years), so with little online research and psu manual/spec sheet I should be able to test it. It's gonna be time consuming, though.

Let me be clear, since everyone thinks it might be the GPU: the debug LEDs I talked about do not indicate something is working properly, they light up when there is an error, so the only thing that hasn't showed any error according to the mobo is the GPU, apparenty.

It is your PSU.

I had the EXACT same issue 2 months ago, but back then I thought it was my motherboard. So I replaced it, and I still have the same issue if I allow my PC to go into hibernate.

I RMA'd my first CX600 2 months after I bought it. I am now on my second CX600 and I am going to replace it with an Xfx PRO650. I suggest you do the same before it potentially damages your motherboard as well. I found out the hard way that a CX series PSU should not be in a gaming system.

Luckily a PSU isn't hugely expensive, a new Gene motherboard is a whole other story. I had the Gene VI, now I am rocking a Gene VII. And I have no plans to let my cheap PSU kill that nice motherboard...

If you replace your PSU and you still have an issue, then it damaged your motherboard. I hope you still can RMA your mobo in this case.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

It is your PSU.

Well, fuck.

I already have a broken TX650 from Corsair, didn't RMA it because with the cost of shipping I covered 60% of the cost of the CX600 (which I got in 3 days instead of weeks of the RMA thing).

It just shuts off the PC after a random amount of time, but I guess I can try it for a moment to see if the computer starts properly. If it does, now I have 2 Corsair PSUs to RMA. That's nice.

AND, if the MB is damaged as well, I'm fucked because it's out of warranty.

I'll troubleshoot this stuff in a bit and I'll let you know.

Yeah I'm staying away from Corsair PSU's from now on. Also since the PSU is the most essential part of a build I would not cheap out on it too much. Which is why I'm throwing away my CX600 and happily pay some extra for the Xfx PSU.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

I would try booting the PC only with 1 stick, no storage drives and no GPU and see if it goes into BIOS with no problems. If it does than the problem should be coming from the GPU.

Just tried that. Still the same problem.

It is your PSU.

It is the PSU. I tried the other Corsair I had in the closet and the computer powered on normally.

Is it worth it to RMA these PSUs? Or should I just throw them away and buy a new one? I'm kind of low on cash right now, so I'd rather not to (although shipping 2 PSUs from Italy to Norway or Sweden isn't cheap at all). And in that case what should I buy that's reliable, NOT CORSAIR and 600-650w (possibly even cheap or at least not expensive)?

It seems kind of weird though. I confirmed that most of the time the CPU error led is turned on in that "limbo" state, so I guess it doesn't give any power to the CPU. Then why does just turning the PSU off than on quickly, as I said before, fix the problem?  :huh:

I don't know about the prices in Italy, but the Xfx Pro 650W is 40 euros more than the CX600 in my country. Well worth it considering a new motherboard is at least 150 euros or so. A RoG motherboard being even more.