Go90, Verizon's Streaming Solution (Remember The AOL Purchase)

Suika

b1100a1adc6447f3e3baf8c80bd1d564.png

(click for sauce)

Is this supposed to be like a Netflix for the elderly?

If there's any reference to the name, I obviously don't know it. The fruit of AOL's buyout is nearing, Verizon's streaming service is coming closer and closer to release, and I'm not sure what to expect. Over the past few months, Verizon has been working with partners such as ESPN, NFL, and DreamWorks, as well as buying ancient companies such as AOL, and old projects from Intel (OnCue was a thing? By Intel?) to make this elderly friendly Netflix a reality (that's probably not what it is but it sounds funny).

That's some absolutely horrid, nonsensical branding, but the actual product doesn't sound nearly so bad — and apparently it'll be completely free (at least to start). Over the last several months, Verizon has quietly rounded up some important partners like Viacom, ESPN, CBS Sports, the NFL, and DreamWorks.

There's going to be variety at least. Music videos, movies, TV shows, even short clips like what's available on YouTube. It sounds pretty interesting so I'll definitely be giving it a whirl when it's out. Oh, did I mention it will initially be free? With Android and iOS apps? In that case there's no excuse to not give it a try.

That said though I'm certain of a couple things, the first being that some content will be exclusive to Verizon customers, as to which (Verizon FiOS, Verizon Wireless, both?) I wouldn't be certain. It's not confirmed but let's be honest, it's going to happen. The next is that it will be ad ridden, but that's also given that launch price is free.

On the Go90 website (now hidden), Verizon wrote, "We wanted to create a mobile-first, video-based app that can keep up with you and your on-the-go social life, One that features completely immersive live and on-demand content, no matter where you are or where you’re going. No cord required."

So what do you guys think? Will this be a threat to services like Netflix and cable TV? Or just another attempt that will be sold off like the original OnCue (seriously, that was a thing? By Intel?)

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'm just wondering how this is going to be monetized. I'm positive that people who don't already use Netflix or have Internet without Cable Television (lol) will absolutely LOVE being drowned in advertisements until it becomes a paid service. There's no confirmation on that though, it could be ad-free. Unicorns could also exist, and I could possibly have one.

I don't really see how this is going to be much different than Hulu, honestly. However will Netflix and Big Cable sleep with another service that will have issues grabbing anybodies attention?

Elderly care about TV? I don't know any who do, aside from Football and Jeopardy. And they don't need a TV company to get those. If you have an antenna then channels 1-20 are free.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Elderly care about TV? I don't know any who do, aside from Football and Jeopardy. And they don't need a TV company to get those. If you have an antenna then channels 1-20 are free.

It's not actually anything for the elderly, I'm just making a joke on the name of the service.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.