Laptop Recommendations

Ronin64

Hi,

My sister is going to university and my parents are going to buy her a laptop for school with a budget of $1000 Canadian and I'd like some opinions. She will be using it for internet, Netflix, class work, and zero gaming. So It doesn't need to be very powerful, I'd just like it to last her a few years and be of decent build quality.

Also please no links to Amazon, they charge way too for shipping to where I live. Example: $56 shipping for a GTX 970.

Thanks in advance guys.

If all she is using it for is Netflix, facebook and Word, literally you can go into BestBuy (or wherever) and but whichever laptop she thinks looks the prettiest. And you dont need to spend more than $500. There isnt a single computer you can buy in that price range nowadays that wont perform those tasks admirably.

EDIT: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO BUY AN HP LAPTOP! NEVER! If someone gives you one for free, tell them that they owe you some booze, because they will give you problems that will make you want to drink yourself to sleep. True story.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just look for something from Asus, Lenovo or Dell which has a core i3 or i5 and 8 gigs of RAM. That's about it. check it's cooling as well to make sure it's adequate

EDIT: Agreed about HP. The same goes for Acer. Those things are not laptops but demons summoned into this world. Avoid at all costs.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6