Best practices for splitting subnets?

P1X3

While there are many articles about how subnets are split, very few go on about best practices for when splitting scopes is useful.

I am interested in splitting 10.0.0.0/24

10.0.0.0/25 - home computers, printers, tv, etc

10.0.0.128/26 - security cameras and devices

10.0.0.192/26 - guest devices

Would very much like to hear from those that dealt with splitting subnets in smaller environments. Perhaps I should bother splitting /24 and split /16 instead?

Some sources

http://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/1524/ipv4-address-space-planning-best-practices

https://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/best-practice-on-network-subnet-configurations-for-multiple-sites

That looks just fine. IF you are nto worried about needing more addresses in the future you shouldn't have any problems with those ranges.

The primary reason you might want to use different subnets is to keep unnecessary broadcast traffic from reaching every device and isolate the networks from one another. You've chosen a logical way to split them up but you really could just give each subnet a /24 and it will be just as effective and easier to configure/remember.

Here's an example of how I would do it.

10.0.1.0/24 = Main network

10.0.2.0/24 = security camera system

10.0.3.0/24 = Guest network

Basically you would need a router capable of doing the three different networks and a switch that is vlan capable OR you need a layer 3 switch and out some static routes to/from the switch/router