How to delete DriverStore from windows.old folder?

Random1234567

I've recently upgraded to windows 10, and used disk cleanup to get rid of the old windows installation, which should completely remove the windows.old folder. However the folder still remains with most of the contents deleted except a particular folder called the DriverStore, the directory is as such: C:Windows.old\Windows\System32\DriverStore . It pops up with a message which requires me to have system permission in order to delete it.

How do I go about to resolve this issue?

rename delete the ".old" at the end.

Thanks, that worked! Do you happen to know any alternate methods other than merging?

I've recently upgraded to windows 10, and used disk cleanup to get rid of the old windows installation, which should completely remove the windows.old folder. However the folder still remains with most of the contents deleted except a particular folder called the DriverStore, the directory is as such: C:Windows.old\Windows\System32\DriverStore . It pops up with a message which requires me to have system permission in order to delete it.

How do I go about to resolve this issue?

Have you checked out these steps?

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

Basically, you'll want to delete the folder using elevated command prompt.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

rename delete the ".old" at the end.

Err... that's not a good thing to do. That will merge the Windows.old folder with the actual Windows folder... That could create HUGE problems down the line.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Err... that's not a good thing to do. That will merge the Windows.old folder with the actual Windows folder... That could create HUGE problems down the line.

ive always did tht never had any problems.

ive always did tht never had any problems.

Lots of people drink and drive and never kill anyone. Doesn't make it a good idea ;)

Anyway, you might personally have never had any issues, but that was just sheer blind luck. By merging the folders, you run the risk of old OS System Files being used (or attempted to be used) by the new OS, or in worst case, the possibility of overwriting good current OS system files with ones from an older version of Windows.

Simply put, you might risk that with yourself, but please don't ever recommend it to anyone - especially a newb (no offense OP lol).

Lots of people drink and drive and never kill anyone. Doesn't make it a good idea ;)

Anyway, you might personally have never had any issues, but that was just sheer blind luck. By merging the folders, you run the risk of old OS System Files being used (or attempted to be used) by the new OS, or in worst case, the possibility of overwriting good current OS system files with ones from an older version of Windows.

Simply put, you might risk that with yourself, but please don't ever recommend it to anyone - especially a newb (no offense OP lol).

nothing left was in my folder. just the .old and no hidden files. ill keep doing it and recommending it. thks.

nothing left was in my folder. just the .old and no hidden files. ill keep doing it and recommending it. thks.

Did you make sure to show "Hidden Files and Folders" as well as "Protected Operating System Files"? Because those are two separate options within the view settings.

Still, it being empty is a lot different from even this very thread topic. The OP still has the DriverStore folder in his. That's not empty, now is it?

Besides, if you're going to be a tech enthusiast, I would have thought you'd embrace learning new knowledge, and learning how to do something the correct way, rather than a band-aid solution?

Did you make sure to show "Hidden Files and Folders" as well as "Protected Operating System Files"? Because those are two separate options within the view settings.

Still, it being empty is a lot different from even this very thread topic. The OP still has the DriverStore folder in his. That's not empty, now is it?

Besides, if you're going to be a tech enthusiast, I would have thought you'd embrace learning new knowledge, and learning how to do something the correct way, rather than a band-aid solution?

no ty my solution is the quickest and the best. thnk yu 

The ignorance is strong in this one. Alright, well, I guess I'm done with you.

I hope you're young and just in that "I know everything phase". I also hope you move out of that phase if you ever intend on pursuing a career in IT.

@MrMoeJay if you need any other assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you're young and just in that "I know everything phase". I also hope you move out of that phase if you ever intend on pursuing a career in IT.

My DriverStore folder was infact empty even with hidden files and protected files being shown, there was nothing there. I made sure that the folder was fully empty. I'm pretty sure windows bugged out during the disk cleanup process, (perhaps I ended the process midway?, can't remember) and hence didn't disable the system protection on that particular folder.

Anyways merging it worked well for me.

However the method you linked seems like the way I would rather have done it. Too late for that now. =/

My DriverStore folder was infact empty even with hidden files and protected files being shown, there was nothing there. I made sure that the folder was fully empty. I'm pretty sure windows bugged out during the disk cleanup process, (perhaps I ended the process midway?, can't remember) and hence didn't disable the system protection on that particular folder.

However the method you linked seems like the way I would rather have done it. Too late for that now. =/

No worries. I'm glad it was empty, and that you double checked. That was the correct thing to do :)

I hope you understand why I'd prefer to teach people to do the correct thing :D

obviouusly jelly and in ur nerd phase. lul grow up

obviouusly jelly and in ur nerd phase. lul grow up

... your comment literally makes no sense. I can say with 100% certainty that I am not "jelly" of him in any way or form. I happen to prefer to teach people the correct way of doing things, because maybe that shortcut works in some situations, but sooner or later, you'll need to know how to do it the right way, and following the shortcut will either straight up not work, or will actually cause harm to your system.

But sure, go ahead merging old pre-upgrade Windows folders all willy-nilly with post-upgrade ones. That will never go wrong :rolleyes: /s

The issue is caused by permissions. The previous install of windows will have had a different SID for the System/administrator/etc accounts. I find the easiest way to resolve this is to go into the properties of the windows.old folder and change the owner to my own account (you need local admin rights) and then force inheritance on all child objects. Then it is a simple press of the delete button.

Sorry but your method is ridiculously stupid. and here is why:

1. Windows updates: every single windows update installer from the previous install will now inhabit the WinSxS folder, while if the system is a relatively new install, it wont be much, but lest assume you have been doing this since vista... that's alot of updates.

2. The driver store (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DriverStore) will now contain all your old drivers once again, can cause issues, as when windows is looking for a device driver it will look here, and in many cases it will grab the XP/vista driver when your running 7/8.1/10 rather then checking online for the latest.

There are many more reasons that dalekphalm pointed out, but you seem a little oblivious to the dangers of this.

• 10 months later...

This is a permissions issue and only SYSTEM has the rights to delete it currently. This thread is old but for anyone looking for the answer:

• Sign into account with administrator rights
  • Right click Windows.old folder, choose Properties
  • Click Security tab
  • Click Advanced
  • Click "Change" for Owner (currently SYSTEM)
  • enter your admin account name currently signed in
  • Click "Check Names" then click OK when it auto-populates the account
  • Click checkbox for "Replace owner on sub containers and objects"
  • Click "Apply" and OK to popups
  • Click checkbox for "Replace all child object permissions entries...."
  • Click "Apply" and OK to popups
  • Click OK on all open windows
  • Right click Windows.old folder and Delete

You need to change ownership of all folders and subcontainers to your admin account you are logged into AND THEN Apply AND THEN replace all child object permissions and Apply. If you dont Apply the first before doing the second, it will say access is denied.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 9:43 AM, Dabasepc said:

it might be the quickest, but its FAR from the best option.  I wished there was a way to discredit this kind of reckless posting.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE