Sharing internet between two houses

Alright, so my grandfathers house and my house are on the same property, there is a garage located pretty central between our houses. I know its possible but I need some advice how this would work. I'm thinking of getting our internet connection ran into the garage where I could split the connection between the two of us. From the garage to his house is around 500 feet while its around 200 to mine, so wifi wouldn't be ideal and I would run cat 6 to each house. So how would it work to split the connection so we could each have a wireless access point at our houses. Would we have to put a router in the garage with the ethernet cables ran to extenders? Thanks in advance for any help, i'm a noob when it comes to networking.  :rolleyes: 

-SNIP-

First double check if you can do that some places don't allow separate dwellings to have a central connection to be shared.

if your allowed you could install a direction antenna to his property with a receiver on that end, or as said run a really long CAT 6 cable but you will need a repeater to do so past 100M or 330ft. For that cable it would be best to run it trough a conduit to protect it from the elements and any physical abuse.

I would go with a wired solution. I don't know about freedom units but standard cat5e cable can be run up to 100m without issue. If both dwellings are on the same property I don't think you'll have an issue with your ISP allowing it.

wired solution would be the best way to go but not always possible.

if it's not possible I would look into directional wireless antenna if you have a good light of sight of each building.

some of those directional antenna are rated like 30km or so, but that's way too over kill.

have a look products like Ubiquiti NanoStation 200mW one are rated at 1km+, and 500mW one are going to be at 15km+

and they are fairly cheap in team of price.

You can definitely do this and what the ISP doesn't know won't hurt them

The best solution is wired but you have to consider the 500 feet from the garage to your grandpas house. You could get around this by either setting up a bridge at the halfway mark (how will you get power to it? keep it enclosed?) or you could use some cheap switches with a fiber uplink port because fiber will go the distance. You may have to settle for wireless connectivity for him (unless he's a gamer-gramps not a big deal)

Give us your budget and we'll give you some options.