Intermittent boot failure

Hey, I have had a problem with my pc not starting properly for a while now, and I have never found a forum post with a problem like mine.

In short, my pc will never boot first time, the power will always come on and my fans will spin up, however, my peripherals do not turn on and it will not post. This happens two or three times no matter what. It always fails first time but will work after a few tries.

I'm not quite sure how to fix this problem, it's not the end of the world cause my pc works, but it is a nuisance. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My parts are;

Amd fx8320

Asrock 990fx extreme

8GB dominator 1600

Radeon r9 280x vapour x

Xfx850w 80+

So I have a AsRock 990FX Extreme 4 and an FX8350 and This has happened to me since the day I got this CPU.

I always thought it was just my board but maybe it's something more.

It never happened with my phenom 2 x6 in the board. 

I've tried flashing the BIOS

Changing the Memory

Removing all USB devices

Changing countless UEFI settings.

It also only seems to effect cold boot.

If you turn it off and then back on again it boots fine.

This has happened to me since Christmas when I changed the CPU.

(CPU works fine in another motherboard)

Up until 2 days ago. Where now my computer won't post with anything in the PCI-E Slots at all :-(

I had to resort to cringe worthy and unmentionable methods to get my computer to boot and I can't turn it off or I wan't be able to turn it on again.

I Have contacted Asrock about both the ongoing problem and my more recent one and I will update if they reply.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

This sounds pretty much like my problem, except the PCI slot thing, mine works fine.

I am contemplating just risking it and buying a new motherboard, since I feel like I cheaped out in that department anyway.

The MSI Krait 970 looks like a decent upgrade.

Fixed my PICE-E thing. Turns out it wasn't a PCI-E thing at all it was a bad DP cable that I was using on both my graphics cards.

I still haven't heard from AsRock :-( But given it was just a weekend I have not lost hope yet.

I have noticed the latest microcode update from the Linux kernel seems to have fixed the not booting first time issue. However its only been a few days since the kernel update so it may just be a coincidence.

I've contemplated getting a new motherboard numerous times but I can't bring myself to buy something new when Mine works just sometimes takes a couple of attempts to turn on. My biggest problem is the default state for the Sata controller is IDE mode, So every time The BIOS resets after a few failed boot attempts I have to go back in and change it to AHCI.

Do you have the extreme 3 or 4?

As an upgrade I would suggest a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 or if you don't want to spend so much a M5A99FX-PRO-R2. The latter just doesn't look to nice. (Personally I'm not to big on MSI Motherboards. I had 3/3 get RMA'd as DOA. I'm not saying there bad in general but experience has made me sour to there motherboards)

I'll update if I get a reply.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4