Is this already a thing?

I just thought of a product but didn't know if it was a thing. Let me explain it to you this way. Think of a usb otg y cable. One end being male, and the other 2 ends being female. No replace the usb ends with pcie. See what I mean? Is that even a thing? What do you guys think, should it be a thing if it isn't yet?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

What?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Like a PCIE to USB cable?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

What?

So you think that a OTG PCIe adapter would be a good idea?

Oh man that's funny lol.

Not otg, i was using otg as an example. Im saying it is same concept, but this one would be internal and If more pcie lanes are needed. Put in the adapter, and there ya go.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Not otg, i was using otg as an example. Im saying it is same concept, but this one would be internal and If more pcie lanes are needed. Put in the adapter, and there ya go.

Ah, so like this? (Just as the basic concept of it)

eeerxb16s.jpg

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Like a PCIE to USB cable?

No, the usb otg y cable was to help mentally illustrate what I was saying. Everything is still inside the case, it's just for when you need more pcie lanes. Put the adapter in or whatever you want to call it, and then you have a couple extra lanes.

Ah, so like this? (Just as the basic concept of it)

eeerxb16s.jpg

YES!!!!

Does it exist? No

Should it exist? No. USB 3.1 can just barely handle PCIe 3.0 x1. There's just simply not enough bandwidth.

YES!!!!

So you essentially just want a PCIe splitter.

Ehh... they do exist, I just doubt they work all that well.

So you're proposing a pcie splitter or switch? Technically, that already exists in form of PLX chips. This is how you get triple sli support on some z97 motherboards. Im pretty sure that this also exists as a separate board for industrial use cases, but I doubt that it'll work in your computer case. The reason that the ATX standard exists, is so everything in your computer fits together nicely

Molex to SATA, lose all your data