Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Video Editing Performance

Hello LTT Forum Peoples,

I really need to upgrade my trusty GTX 660 and I've been looking extensively at the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming card as an upgrade; it fits perfectly into my budget (£200-£350), looks awesome, fits my colour scheme brilliantly and produces amazing results in games.

First and foremost my build is an editing machine, although many would argue I could have built better for this purpose, and I wanted to make sure that the 970 would give me a significant improvement in my work-flow. I use Adobe Creative Suite CC (Premier Pro, After Effects, Photoshop) but I don't do any 3D modelling/animation work. 

I'm sure I would be better off buying a much more powerful card such as a Titan but I just can't afford it, although I am open to any recommendations for the red team if that would be better for me.

Many thanks,

Ca11umH

My Rig:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0 GHz

Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte GTX 660

Corsair RM750

Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Western Digital Green HDD

Sometimes Funny, Always Trying.

YouTube.com/Ca11umH

Hello LTT Forum Peoples,

I really need to upgrade my trusty GTX 660 and I've been looking extensively at the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming card as an upgrade; it fits perfectly into my budget (£200-£350), looks awesome, fits my colour scheme brilliantly and produces amazing results in games.

First and foremost my build is an editing machine, although many would argue I could have built better for this purpose, and I wanted to make sure that the 970 would give me a significant improvement in my work-flow. I use Adobe Creative Suite CC (Premier Pro, After Effects, Photoshop) but I don't do any 3D modelling/animation work. 

I'm sure I would be better off buying a much more powerful card such as a Titan but I just can't afford it, although I am open to any recommendations for the red team if that would be better for me.

Many thanks,

Ca11umH

My Rig:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0 GHz

Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte GTX 660

Corsair RM750

Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Western Digital Green HDD

You should definitly have a look at the R9 390.

It has much more VRAM and performs the same. It might also cost a little less, depending on your country and retailer.

Edit:

See what TheKDub wrote:

No, he shouldn't.

Adobe programs benefit much more from CUDA (which is something nvidia has) than OpenCL (AMD)

Yeah, he'd probably be better off making the switch to intel and getting an i7 or a xeon for better performance.

The next step would be to upgrade your CPU.

But I'd wait another year before doing that.

I've got a 970 and i5 4690K, it does pretty good in premiere pro and photoshop, haven't tried it in after effects though.

I can't say how much of an increase in performance you'll see in those types of tasks as its mainly CPU based (The GPU is used for some, but the load is mainly on the CPU)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You should definitly have a look at the R9 390.

It has much more VRAM and performs the same. It might also cost a little less, depending on your country and retailer.

The next step would be to upgrade your CPU.

But I'd wait another year before doing that.

No, he shouldn't.

Adobe programs benefit much more from CUDA (which is something nvidia has) than OpenCL (AMD)

Yeah, he'd probably be better off making the switch to intel and getting an i7 or a xeon for better performance.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

No, he shouldn't.

k, didn't know that.  :unsure: 

I'll change my comment.

No, he shouldn't.

Mmmh no.

Yes cuda has more features in adobe tham openCL but those features are related to 3D.. For the rest openCL is moreless equal but AMD cards having such a huge memory bandwith they actually outperform nvidia cards most of the time when it cones to rendering and fluidity.

@Ca11umH

tbh take whatever you like, your graphic card wont have as much of an impact as CPU and rams.  The 970 is a great graphic card and it will give you great performance for the money while working.