Phantom 820 Hue lighting voltage

I am wondering what voltage the phantom 820 RGB LED's run at. I am planning on replacing the hue lighting controls integrated in the case with an arduino to create light patterns that I program.

I have seen that the board says 5V at the top near where the power enters, but I tried controlling one of the LED's in the phantom 820 with my circuit (which works with a 5v RGB LED I have) and it did not work. I assumed that the straight white-lined wire was ground, because the other 3 would be wires for Red, Green, and Blue.

So my question: What voltage do the RGB LED's in the phantom 820 run at?

Thank you guys.

I am wondering what voltage the phantom 820 RGB LED's run at. I am planning on replacing the hue lighting controls integrated in the case with an arduino to create light patterns that I program.

I have seen that the board says 5V at the top near where the power enters, but I tried controlling one of the LED's in the phantom 820 with my circuit (which works with a 5v RGB LED I have) and it did not work. I assumed that the straight white-lined wire was ground, because the other 3 would be wires for Red, Green, and Blue.

So my question: What voltage do the RGB LED's in the phantom 820 run at?

Thank you guys.

Each LED tri-chip runs at 3.3 V and are usually wires in series, 3 at a time and a resistor to run at 12V if you take a photo of the LED lights or strips we can get a better idea of the layout.

Each LED tri-chip runs at 3.3 V and are usually wires in series, 3 at a time and a resistor to run at 12V if you take a photo of the LED lights or strips we can get a better idea of the layout.

Ok I will do that! Lemme get a picture

The picture shows the controller that is used for the LED's....each led (or strip) uses 4 wires (ground, red, green, and blue). The actual LED isn't anything special beyond that one of the wires has a solid white line on it which I thought indicated the ground while the other three would be for red, green, and blue.

post-75121-0-54227600-1437019241_thumb.j

The picture shows the controller that is used for the LED's....each led (or strip) uses 4 wires (ground, red, green, and blue).

I meant the LED strip itself but are just planning on replacing this controller with an arduino to control the lighting instead. My guess is the LED strips would be 12V since that is the standard.

I meant the LED strip itself but are just planning on replacing this controller with an arduino to control the lighting instead. My guess is the LED strips would be 12V since that is the standard.

Yes I am planning on using the RGB LED's already in the phantom 820...if the leds were 12v do you think that would explain why the led that i tested in my case did not illiuminate (the red, green, and blue pins were connected with a 330 ohm resistor) and it was powered by 5v from the arduino I/O?

Yes I am planning on using the RGB LED's already in the phantom 820...if the leds were 12v do you think that would explain why the led that i tested in my case did not illiuminate (the red, green, and blue pins were connected with a 330 ohm resistor) and it was powered by 5v from the arduino I/O?

For LED strips they don't need a resistor since they should always have it built into the strip, but that could be the problem if you could raise the voltage output to 12V I'd give it a try.

For LED strips they don't need a resistor since they should always have it built into the strip, but that could be the problem if you could raise the voltage output to 12V I'd give it a try.

The LED's in the phantom 820 are not in a strip, they are purely an RGB LED connected to the board shown in the picture....I am planning on replacing that board entirely, and using the power coming from the power supply (which is powering the LED's connected to the board) along with the arduino and transistors in order to power the RGB lighting in the case. All of the LED's in the case are basically just like the ones you would buy for breadboards (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/105) the pins arent in the same order as the one linked, but its the same in design and function...just to clarify, I am not using a strip of RGB LED's

The LED's in the phantom 820 are not in a strip, they are purely an RGB LED connected to the board shown in the picture....I am planning on replacing that board entirely, and using the power coming from the power supply (which is powering the LED's connected to the board) along with the arduino and transistors in order to power the RGB lighting in the case. All of the LED's in the case are basically just like the ones you would buy for breadboards (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/105) the pins arent in the same order as the one linked, but its the same in design and function...just to clarify, I am not using a strip of RGB LED's

Oh that's a bit unique then, I would like an RGB LED strip would be of a lower cost to them than individual LEDs. 

Oh that's a bit unique then, I would like an RGB LED strip would be of a lower cost to them than individual LEDs. 

Ok, so I have come back with some information when I was measuring the voltages with my multimeter. I have confirmed that the power coming into the board IS 5V. With the LED's, I have encountered something strange.When I put my negative lead of my multimeter onto the black wire with a white line and put the positive lead below where I have the ground, it gives me a positive value. When I move the positive lead down another, it reads as negative, as if the negative lead should be positive and vise versa with the other. I really don't understand why that is happening (assuming what I'm reading is right). I think the pins go (starting from ground down to the other side) Ground, Blue, Red, and Green at the other end, but as I am testing the voltages I'm getting some colliding readings.

Edit: It also looks like a maximum voltage of each LED (of the RGB) is 3.00V. I found this by putting my HUE lighting at blue, until I saw that green and red were not apparent in the color.