Discrimination!

I Am Jarvis

It's not really discrimination, its more like an unofficial dress code in customer service jobs. Besides, you weren't born with tattoos and piercings, you chose to get them. It's not discrimination at all.

Just because you choose something doesn't mean it isn't discrimination. What about discrimination on the basis of religious choice?

Edit: Sorry for double post. 

Edited by smjpl

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Where is the tatoo if you dont mind me asking...?

my most visible is on my forearm, so wearing a shirt could cover this.

Well then for the most part you should be able to cover up the tattoos by wearing a suit. With regards to the piercings, you can just cover up the one with holes (how big are the holes?). Don't give up because of this. If you can present yourself in a responsible manner, dress well, speak well and know your stuff, then don't sell yourself short. 

the holes in my ears are about 26mm, if i take them out the smallest they'll get is 22mm. the only way to get rid of them completely is surgery....that would have to be payed for

CoolerMaster HAF 932 -- A10-5800k -- ASrock FM2A55M-DGS -- Corsair H80i -- Sapphire Radeon HD7850 -- OCZ ZT 750W

the holes in my ears are about 26mm, if i take them out the smallest they'll get is 22mm. the only way to get rid of them completely is surgery....that would have to be payed for

What do you think of plugs?

At least having them would show you are genuinely interested in trying to be responsible towards a companies dress policy. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

It sounds harsh to say it but the price you pay by altering your physical  appearence in a less conventional fashion is that you will find it hard to get a job with a company that has a certain public professional image to uphold.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Unfortunately, appearance can have a lot to do with getting jobs.  But IT is one of those fields where I tend to think more different kinds of things are acceptable.

Vitalius is pretty much spot on in his assessment.  I've spent time in IT departments all around the U.S. and India since '98 and I've really not seen any visible tattoos or piercings.  Some certainly had tats, but easily covered by a suit.

This is just how the world is in this day in age, I'm frankly fine with there being a standard of professionalism.  Maybe try looking into a work from home position? They certainly exist in IT (I work from home).

A family member recently got a neck tattoo and hasn't been able to even get a job in a bookstore since.  

Maybe in the future this will change, but seems the state of the world these days.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac