Best graphic card for Seasonic S12II 380W

dzintars

Hello!

I currently have low end system running on Seasonic S12II 380W. I want to upgrade to i5-4570, some B85 motherboard and graphic card for casual 1080p gaming, but i don't want to upgrade PSU.

Which is the best graphic card for my PSU limitations?

PSU power distribution:

post-14443-0-11176600-1375125429.jpg

P.S. Sorry for my English. :)

You will probably have to upgrade your PSU if you want a discreet GPU.

just upgrade to something like a 550w power supply, power supply arent that expensive, so just upgrade it rather then underpowering your components

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I'm not really into gaming, so I don't need anything fancy. For example, 650ti boost whould be enough. According to Nvidia's specification, it needs 450W. Isn't Seasonic 380W better than some crappy 450W PSU?

I'm not really into gaming, so I don't need anything fancy. For example, 650ti boost whould be enough. According to Nvidia's specification, it needs 450W. Isn't Seasonic 380W better than some crappy 450W PSU?

when nvidia says a 450 watt psu they mean of good quality and assume that you will have a psu of good quality, like the other users stated a 380 watt psu although being a very nice quality one will not power a discrete gpu

I would highly recommend upgrading your PSU to something like a 550W or so. I Corsair or Seasonic PSU will be best to get and they are not that expensive.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I would recommend a GT 640 with 1GB of GDDR5.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

What are your other specs? Depending on how much drives and all of that you have, and assuming you won't overclock anything, a 650Ti Boost should be fine on 380W

Yes, you will be fine if you don't overclock. If you have the money, GET A HD7950. It's an amazing card.

I found a graph of TOTAL power consumption of a system with a couple of different of GPU's - 

System  - 

Intel Core i7-3960X

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
16GB Corsair 1866MHz
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
Intel RTS2011LC

post-1162-0-90595100-1375128568.jpg

As I said, I'm not relay into gaming or OC, so it will not be a reason to upgrade my beautiful, quiet and efficient PSU. :)

I'd love to get some opinion based on PSU's power distribution between lines (table in first post). I know that totoal power consumption under 380w doesn’t mean, that this particular 380w PSU can run it.

Planed system configuration:

• i5-4570
  • some low end B85 motherboard
  • 2 sticks of DDR3 1333
  • SSD
  • 2 low RPM fans
  • some graphics card...

As I said, I'm not relay into gaming or OC, so it will not be a reason to upgrade my beautiful, quiet and efficient PSU. :)

I'd love to get some opinion based on PSU's power distribution between lines (table in first post). I know that totoal power consumption under 380w doesn’t mean, that this particular 380w PSU can run it.

Planed system configuration:

• i5-4570
  • some low end B85 motherboard
  • 2 sticks of DDR3 1333
  • SSD
  • 2 low RPM fans
  • some graphics card...

The distribution is fine. I noticed it has 2 12V rails, so look at your manual and make sure you spread that out evenly, say one to the CPU / Motherboard one for the Graphics card... you know things like that.

Apart from that if you want a graphics card recommendation apart from a 7950, what's your budget? 

I don't have strict budget, but I plan to spend around 200$ on graphic card. Another limitation by PSU - single 6-pin pci-e power connector.  

In that case and since you're not really into gaming, get a 7850 or a 7870.

Depending on the one you pick you might need another 6-PIN power cable or even an 8Pin. You can buy Molex to 6-Pin and 6-Pin to 8-Pin Adapters online so that's not really a problem. Again just make sure you spread out the load across the 2 rails.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying Asus GTX660-DC2OCPH-2GD5 and Seasonic 380w can handle it with no problems. I measured power draw from wall (with i5-4570 and H87M-E) - 200w max while gaming. Only drawback is that psu fan gets pretty loud under full load.