Is 1000 watts gonna be enough with overclocking

PeggersXtreme
Go to solution Solved by Thermal,

According to this -> http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
You'd be drawing around 1050w with a core voltage of 1.4 and a fuck load of fans at 100% load on EVERTYHING. Safer to go for a 1200+w methinks!

77g3TKDl.png

Yeah I think I will call the store tomorrow and swap for the evga 1300watt here in the UK it's only an extra £20 around ($36 Canadian) so I think it will be worth it for the safety of the system lol

Woop UK! Where you ordering from?

I'm ordering from Scan, had it on order for 3 weeks but they are struggling to get my motherboard in stock so may have to order that component from Amazon, I ordered my custom yellow and black sleeved cables from overclockers and the mayhem pastel sunset yellow concerntrate coolant :P

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

I will be creating a build log thread soon as soon as I get some of the parts and have finished building the custom desk case for it all :)

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Nice graphics cards designs on your profile BTW, I did a similar thing in college accept mine was for game development using photoshop to create the drawings / designs to then use them as assets in a how to build a PC based software My designs aren't as detailed as yours though lol good work man

Custom PC:

Nice graphics cards designs on your profile BTW, I did a similar thing in college accept mine was for game development using photoshop to create the drawings / designs to then use them as assets in a how to build a PC based software My designs aren't as detailed as yours though lol good work man

Thanks! Advantage of Illustrator and a butt ton of patience  ^_^

Thanks! Advantage of Illustrator and a butt ton of patience  ^_^

Yeah lol agree on the patience 100% I usually end up zooming in until I can see individual pixels to get some of my designs perfect I don't get to do much design now though since completing college and moving on to working in digital marketing I design more infographics now lol

Custom PC:

~snip~

Hey PeggersXtreme,

That's a pretty enthusiastic plan. The guys gave you some good suggestions. I'd say get a larger than recommended PSU so you can be on the safe side with the overclocking. Also more powerful PSU would mean that the fan of the PSU would spin up less often. 
Regarding the storage, WD Black are great performance drives. If you are planning on putting them on a RAID array I would consider swapping them with WD Red ones for better stability and safety of your data: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=iMZoQd

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey PeggersXtreme,

That's a pretty enthusiastic plan. The guys gave you some good suggestions. I'd say get a larger than recommended PSU so you can be on the safe side with the overclocking. Also more powerful PSU would mean that the fan of the PSU would spin up less often. 
Regarding the storage, WD Black are great performance drives. If you are planning on putting them on a RAID array I would consider swapping them with WD Red ones for better stability and safety of your data: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=iMZoQd

Captain_WD.

I didn't plan on doing a raid I planned on having one WD black for games and the other I haven't really got a use for yet but I wanted to get everything now rather than later the Toshiba drive is going to be for my photography files and videos files and I also have WD my cloud to back important files up on. thanks

Custom PC:

I didn't plan on doing a raid I planned on having one WD black for games and the other I haven't really got a use for yet but I wanted to get everything now rather than later the Toshiba drive is going to be for my photography files and videos files and I also have WD my cloud to back important files up on. thanks

In that case, you are good to go :) 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

In that case, you are good to go :)

I usually just get a fast boot drive and put important things on that game wise I don't feel a benefit using an SSD over a WD black as the WD black drives are super quick already I don't know the model number of the m.2 but its a Samsung 256gb and has read speeds of 2150mbs and write speed of 1400mbs :P

Custom PC:

make sure you double check everything that you get as I had a "wrongly advertised" issue with Scan a couple of months ago. I am sure you will be ok though.

make sure you double check everything that you get as I had a "wrongly advertised" issue with Scan a couple of months ago. I am sure you will be ok though.

Oh, really? I haven't had a problem in the past just takes a while to get stuff when they don't have an ETA for it the 980ti and Titan X backplates are a real pain to get hold of at the moment.

Custom PC:

Hi,

I recently ordered my new parts for my workstation / Gaming PC but have concerns that I haven't ordered a big enough PSU PC partpicker estimates I will be slightly over 1000watt

My parts are:

i7 5960X

Titan X x2

WD black 2TB x2

Toshiba 4TB

Samsung 256gb m.2 SSD

MSI X99A Xpower

Evga supernova G2 1000watt

2 X D5 Vario pumps

64gb corsair vengeance DDR4

Is 1000 watts enough for all this with cup and gpu overclocks thanks

buying all that enthusiast grade stuff and you are asking such a question?  lol 

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

buying all that enthusiast grade stuff and you are asking such a question?  lol 

No harm in checking parts out lol power supplies aren't my strong point I haven't ever done SLI in the past so only ever usually needed 600-800watts

Custom PC:

I'd say if you have the money just go with a 1200w, I'm sure you could get away with a solid 1000w but when you're spending this much anyway, why not be safe?

*Edit* LTT keep going down for anyone else? Canada is getting ddos'd to hell atm http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&list=0&time=16630&view=map

Holy fuck! Makes me grateful i live in a small country people barely know off...Love the designs btw, can't stop keep thinking of sugestions for your next one :P

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Holy fuck! Makes me grateful i live in a small country people barely know off...Love the designs btw, can't stop keep thinking of sugestions for your next one :P

Always love to hear suggestions, community votes take 2 needs build for when this one is over  ;)

Parts are on the way so a build log will be coming soon I cancelled the motherboard which was holding up the parts being delivered and ordered it from Amazon as they were one of the only places that had it in-stock and I got the next PSU up in the EVGA line the 1300watt G2 it had to be a EVGA as I have already got my Cables from Cable Mod for the EVGA G2 and P2 series PSU's I don't have time to self sleeve the cables so seemed cheaper and more practical to buy them from cable mod

Custom PC:

Parts are on the way so a build log will be coming soon I cancelled the motherboard which was holding up the parts being delivered and ordered it from Amazon as they were one of the only places that had it in-stock and I got the next PSU up in the EVGA line the 1300watt G2 it had to be a EVGA as I have already got my Cables from Cable Mod for the EVGA G2 and P2 series PSU's I don't have time to self sleeve the cables so seemed cheaper and more practical to buy them from cable mod

Glad we could help

I think you have made the right choice with a larger PSU

I look forward to seeing your photos and performance after you have built it

Good luck on the lottery

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

Glad we could help

I think you have made the right choice with a larger PSU

I look forward to seeing your photos and performance after you have built it

Good luck on the lottery

Yeah I will be posting progress photos on my build log thread and I will be posting a link to my youtube build log videos just need to finish building the custom desk before the parts arrive now lol

Custom PC:

No harm in checking parts out lol power supplies aren't my strong point I haven't ever done SLI in the past so only ever usually needed 600-800watts

well, the wattage isn't the most important thing. the rail is.  although with any juicy psu these days they will cover u.  Dont forget that the second gfx card won't take as much juice as the first.

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D