Cannot Write to Network Server

So I got an old PC and decided to make it a file server. Before I just had a USB hard drive connected to my Asus router. Worked well, but it took a while to show everything on other devices because of the slow hard ware on it. Anyway, I got the PC up and running, put in two hard drives and two USB drives. Currently I am only using one USB and I shared it with the share option with the right click (Windows 7 Pro) but now, I cannot write to it from anything. I've tried two Windows PCs (7 Pro and 8.1 Pro, a Android phone using ES File Viewer and A Linux computer) It says "You need permission to perform this action" I've look through the computer that is sharing it and I haven't found anything to allow me. Help Please :c

post-84444-0-18980300-1436728827_thumb.p

post-84444-0-18980300-1436728827_thumb.p

Ran by coffee

more info about the server, especially what OS it is running.

Computer is an HP s3000 with a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 with 1 GB of ram, Has a GeForve 6150SE nForce 430 running WIndows 7 Professional 32-bit Service Pack 1

more info about the server, especially what OS it is running.

Ran by coffee

Computer is an HP s3000 with a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 with 1 GB of ram, Has a GeForve 6150SE nForce 430 running WIndows 7 Professional 32-bit Service Pack 1

edit sharing permissions, i'd also suggest looking into homegroup, thats one of the reasons my file server isnt linux *yet*

I did, and it says that I can read and write etc, but I still can't write. And I am confused about the whole homegroup thing, because one of the main things i use this for is backing up/reading/writing files from my android phone, and what i understand homegroup is just windows? (I'm not that good at the Network and share stuff as you can tell)

edit sharing permissions, i'd also suggest looking into homegroup, thats one of the reasons my file server isnt linux *yet*

Ran by coffee

I did, and it says that I can read and write etc, but I still can't write. And I am confused about the whole homegroup thing, because one of the main things i use this for is backing up/reading/writing files from my android phone, and what i understand homegroup is just windows? (I'm not that good at the Network and share stuff as you can tell)

theres general options for sharing *somewhere* in control panel.

that said, you're just as fast searching yourself than me finding it, because i have no clue where either :/

its been a good few years since i set up my stuff.

theres general options for sharing *somewhere* in control panel.

that said, you're just as fast searching yourself than me finding it, because i have no clue where either :/

its been a good few years since i set up my stuff.

Okay, I'll mess around some more. Can't break anything, and I guess if i do, I'll just re-install windows haha. Thank you very much for your help c:

Ran by coffee

Okay, I'll mess around some more. Can't break anything, and I guess if i do, I'll just re-install windows haha. Thank you very much for your help c:

Can you go into Control Panel on the File Server, and then type "Advanced Sharing" without the quotes into the search bar at the top of the window and then click on the first option titled Manage Advanced Sharing Settings.

Now in the Home or Work profile can you change the following settings please?

Change Network Discovery to On

Change File And Printer Sharing to On

Turn Password Protect Sharing to On

Make sure Homegroup connections is set to Allow Windows to Manage Connections

and finally click Save.

Do the same for all the desktops and laptops you wish to allow to connect to the File Server and in the File Server, set a password for the user account. This step is important, Windows has a weird thing going on where it will sometimes not connect to Network Shares if it isn't password protected.

Now go to your computer and click on the File Server in Windows Explorer and connect to the File Server, it should ask for a username and password, enter the username you have on the File Server and enter the password for that user account, and check the box titled Save Credentials and connect to the File Server, you should now be able to copy a file to the File Server, if not then let us know.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon