Graphics Display Adapters

Angelz&Airwavez

Hello, I am currently in a situation in which I am going to buy a 4k display. I am pretty sure the my Radeon 7950 only has HDMI 1.4, so it cannot display 4k @60hz, but, my GPU has 2 mini display port connectors which do support 4k @ 60hz, almost all 4k monitors come with displayports on them, but I am also looking at some 4k TV's in which most do not. The 4k TV's I am looking at come with HDMI 2.0 though. So my question is, If I buy a mini displayport to HDMI adapter, will I be able to get 4k @ 60hz, Thanks!

Your GPU is incredibly underpowered for 4K if you're using it for gaming. If the adapter is HDMI 2.0 compliant, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Your GPU is incredibly underpowered for 4K if you're using it for gaming. If the adapter is HDMI 2.0 compliant, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

You are completely Right about my GPU being underpowered. I play a lot of L4D2, which I am pretty sure I can run at 4k, but my GPU is going to be my next upgrade. Thanks!

Do you NEED it to be a TV? A monitor is a safer bet in the long term for PC usage.

As for you GPU, you can run it at 1080p with no blurring of frames as UHD/1080p = a doubling of resolution so it will scale perfectly.

Last I saw though Display port to HDMI adapters were expensive and I doubt there are many HDMI 2.0 adapters out atm (higher bandwidth and more processing required.)

You are completely Right about my GPU being underpowered. I play a lot of L4D2, which I am pretty sure I can run at 4k, but my GPU is going to be my next upgrade. Thanks!

It's not as underpowered as you'd think - depending very much on which games you want to play. I've not tested L4D2 specifically, but Source games and well-optimised/not-so-power-hungry games (such as LoL) will run just fine on a single 7970. A 7970 is barely more powerful than a 7950 so you should be just fine. If you want to play something like Witcher 3, eh... Get a 980Ti or a Fury X at least.