Can't Kill Process, Tried Taskkill command and Pskill.exe

1823alex

Haven't been around this subforum in awhile... Anyways I've got a game that crashed and I can't end the process for some reason. The game is World of Tanks and will bring up a message saying app already started if the programs process is still running. I've tried the taskkill command and Pskill.exe from pstools. The processes memory usage is stuck at 64,624K. Please help, I'd prefer not to have to restart my PC since I'd like to figure out what is causing the problem. Specs are in my sig, the Excalibur Gaming Rig is where I'm having this problem.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Did you try /F to forcefully close it?

C:\Users\Geoff>taskkill /?TASKKILL [/S system [/U username [/P [password]]]]         { [/FI filter] [/PID processid | /IM imagename] } [/T] [/F]Description:    This tool is used to terminate tasks by process id (PID) or image name.Parameter List:    /S    system           Specifies the remote system to connect to.    /U    [domain\]user    Specifies the user context under which the                           command should execute.    /P    [password]       Specifies the password for the given user                           context. Prompts for input if omitted.    /FI   filter           Applies a filter to select a set of tasks.                           Allows "*" to be used. ex. imagename eq acme*    /PID  processid        Specifies the PID of the process to be terminated.                           Use TaskList to get the PID.    /IM   imagename        Specifies the image name of the process                           to be terminated. Wildcard '*' can be used                           to specify all tasks or image names.    /T                     Terminates the specified process and any                           child processes which were started by it.    /F                     Specifies to forcefully terminate the process(es).    /?                     Displays this help message.Filters:    Filter Name   Valid Operators           Valid Value(s)    -----------   ---------------           -------------------------    STATUS        eq, ne                    RUNNING |                                            NOT RESPONDING | UNKNOWN    IMAGENAME     eq, ne                    Image name    PID           eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le    PID value    SESSION       eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le    Session number.    CPUTIME       eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le    CPU time in the format                                            of hh:mm:ss.                                            hh - hours,                                            mm - minutes, ss - seconds    MEMUSAGE      eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le    Memory usage in KB    USERNAME      eq, ne                    User name in [domain\]user                                            format    MODULES       eq, ne                    DLL name    SERVICES      eq, ne                    Service name    WINDOWTITLE   eq, ne                    Window title    NOTE    ----    1) Wildcard '*' for /IM switch is accepted only when a filter is applied.    2) Termination of remote processes will always be done forcefully (/F).    3) "WINDOWTITLE" and "STATUS" filters are not considered when a remote       machine is specified.Examples:    TASKKILL /IM notepad.exe    TASKKILL /PID 1230 /PID 1241 /PID 1253 /T    TASKKILL /F /IM cmd.exe /T    TASKKILL /F /FI "PID ge 1000" /FI "WINDOWTITLE ne untitle*"    TASKKILL /F /FI "USERNAME eq NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IM notepad.exe    TASKKILL /S system /U domain\username /FI "USERNAME ne NT*" /IM *    TASKKILL /S system /U username /P password /FI "IMAGENAME eq note*"

If no luck a simple restart will do the trick as well.

Did you try /F to forcefully close it?

Ninja'd

I tried the following commands:

Taskkill /IM WorldOfTanks.exe /Fpskill 586484

Also, I do know a restart will work but I'd prefer not to.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Looks like the process dropped in memory usage from 64k down to 3,500k. Maybe it's attempting to shut down and end itself? The only other solution I've seen is to wait and it will eventually stop itself so I'm gonna catch some sleep and hope that being patient works.