Ultimate Silent PC for 1080p gaming

(sorry for caps but this frustrates me)

Please for the LOVE OF GOD. HE IS USING A 1080P MONITOR. 980TI NOT NECESSARY. Dude just get a GTX 970, it will be MORE than enough for what you are doing. For the cards being as quiet as possible (and easily OCed), take a look at the STRIX (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5) or G1 Gaming (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd)

Please for the LOVE OF GOD. HE IS USING A 1080P MONITOR. 980TI NOT NECESSARY. Dude just get a GTX 970, it will be MORE than enough for what you are doing. For the cards being as quiet as possible (and easily OCed), take a look at the STRIX (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5) or G1 Gaming (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd)

He's going to spend 4000 on the build. I'm going to convince him to build a 1440p PC.

@dre92, before you buy everything, take your time and do your research with regards to all the parts that we suggest to you. i'll do my best.

honestly, playing games at 1440p with a monitor like the asus rog swift is absolutely much better than anything at 1080p. my good friend has a 1440p setup with that monitor and it's amazing. i have first hand experience. if you're going to spend $4000, build something for 1440p.

and SLI really does make a difference. this i also have experience with. i've seen the performance with two 780 ti's and one only and the difference was pretty big in terms of fps.

what do you think?

BigDay

He's going to spend 4000 on the build. I'm going to convince him to build a 1440p PC.

@dre92, before you buy everything, take your time and do your research with regards to all the parts that we suggest to you. i'll do my best.

honestly, playing games at 1440p with a monitor like the asus rog swift is absolutely much better than anything at 1080p. my good friend has a 1440p setup with that monitor and it's amazing. i have first hand experience. if you're going to spend $4000, build something for 1440p.

and SLI really does make a difference. this i also have experience with. i've seen the performance with two 780 ti's and one only and the difference was pretty big in terms of fps.

what do you think?

Well, even though I've prepared $4000, I don't need to really spend it all at once and I don't want to waste my money for something that is completely irrelevant.

I am not going to prepare for 1440p gaming just yet because tbh I have zero interest in it, I don't see a huge benefit going from 1080p to 1440p. Graphics already look awesome in 1080p (and even more with supersampling). Yes the ROG Swift is awesome, I've seen it myself, but like I said, I'm just not interested. I might change my mind in the next 2 or 3 years, but by that time I might already be looking for another GPU replacement.

I've never been a big fan of SLI simply because of games optimization issues and heat.

I think I'm gonna go with the 970. Even though the 980Ti might be more (ughh I really hate this term) 'futureproof' than the 970, I think going with the 970 is a wiser decision since I won't be using the 980Ti's full potential if I only use it for 1080p gaming (well at least for the next 2 years I guess), therefore it would be a total waste of money. Even the 970 is already overkill for 1080p I think, but like I said at the beginning, overkill is good but not too much.

Anyway thank you all for your suggestions and I think I might have a final build list soon.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

you should get x2 SSHD drives instead of the regular HDD's:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st4000dx001

the bequiet black cpu cooler will be hard to install, but it will be quieter than any AIO cooler you get, but may not perform as well as some of the larger rad options.

SSHD is a waste if you already have an SSD. 

SSHD is a waste if you already have an SSD. 

He needs 8TB of space. How is that a waste if he gets x2 SSHD's at 4GB?

What's your suggestion, 8GB worth of SSD's @ 1MM dollars?

BigDay

He needs 8TB of space. How is that a waste if he gets x2 SSHD's at 4GB?

What's your suggestion, 8GB worth of SSD's @ 1MM dollars?

Just get regular hard drives for mass storage. Any games can be run off the SSD.

Just get regular hard drives for mass storage. Any games can be run off the SSD.

The sshds I suggested are 50 bucks cheaper than the hdds.

BigDay

The one you linked to is $144.99 per drive. You can get a 4TB Toshiba for $119.99 per drive. Even with postage it works out about $43 less.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/441063/4TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_III_60Gb-s_35_Desktop_Internal_Hard_Drive_PH3400U-1I72

The reason I didn't suggest those toshiba's is because they get very very hot. They are no good. The SSHD's i suggested are 50 bucks cheaper than the cheapest high quality Seagate NAS drives.

BigDay

The reason I didn't suggest those toshiba's is because they get very very hot. They are no good. The SSHD's i suggested are 50 bucks cheaper than the cheapest high quality Seagate NAS drives.

Source ? Most hard drives get warm under use but it won't affect how it works. There is nothing wrong with Toshiba hard drives.

A GTX 970 will not play all titles at 40fps minimum on 1080. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/9.html

Source ? Most hard drives get warm under use but it won't affect how it works. There is nothing wrong with Toshiba hard drives.

I have no idea if Toshiba run hotter than other hdd. But choosing cooler operating drives does affect case ambient which may in turn marginally affect fan speeds on the gpu and cpu cooling units.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

reviews on the net. look it up. you're wrong just accept it. they are garbage drives.

BigDay

reviews on the net. look it up. you're wrong just accept it. they are garbage drives.

You are the one spouting all the info. At least back it up with some facts  :rolleyes:

I would love it if someone could explain to me why so many people are saying 980 Ti when he wants 1080p40..

I've met all of your demands! Now just let the prisoners go! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! err... Allah err.... Buddha err... Whatever you believe in... JUST LET THEM GO PLZ!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($144.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series Fanless 460W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($125.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1560.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-02 19:47 EDT-0400

finally a build with a actual 1080p card, you need nothing more for 1080p.

I would love it if someone could explain to me why so many people are saying 980 Ti when he wants 1080p40..

From the OP ". . . I need it to run any games currently available with max settings and maintain at the very least 40 fps at all times,. . ."

GTX 970 does not have minimum fps above 40 in some titles, especially newer ones.

A GTX 970 will not play all titles at 40fps minimum on 1080. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/9.html

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know that AC Unity is that demanding at 1080p, dunno if it's because of bad optimization for pc or maybe it really is a very demanding game. Either way, perhaps I think I can let this one pass.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know that AC Unity is that demanding at 1080p, dunno if it's because of bad optimization for pc or maybe it really is a very demanding game. Either way, perhaps I think I can let this one pass.

There are other titles, see Crysis 3 in the same article, for example. Remember that fps in the link are average. Minimums may be much less. But I think GTX 970 will provide a very good experience at a decent price.

From the OP ". . . I need it to run any games currently available with max settings and maintain at the very least 40 fps at all times,. . ."

GTX 970 does not have minimum fps above 40 in some titles, especially newer ones.

I think it's reasonable that for a significant amount of savings you can take a rather rare hit to >40 fps..