Windows 8.1 version not available

AndrewHA

So, I bought a laptop from a friend and activated with a key I got at school. Now it doesn't show the edition and I can't install certain software because of this. Just says "not compatible" blah, blah.

Here is what it looks like, if anyone know a hack or fix, I would really apprieciate it:

toBWSu5.png?1

My build: 600t Graphite Grey | ASUS P8Z77-V LGA | i5-3570K (H100i cooled) | 2 x GTX 560 2GB

256 SSD for OS

3x1TB in RAID 5 with 60 SSD cache

So is it windows 8.1 or not?

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

It has the functions of windows 8.1, but there is a ? mark where the version is supposed to be. So, when I try to install (lets say AVG, it won't let me)

My build: 600t Graphite Grey | ASUS P8Z77-V LGA | i5-3570K (H100i cooled) | 2 x GTX 560 2GB

256 SSD for OS

It has the functions of windows 8.1, but there is a ? mark where the version is supposed to be. So, when I try to install (lets say AVG, it won't let me)

Could you try installing just standard windows 8, not 8.1?

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

You installed Windows 8.1, and used the key for Windows 8.

You should have used the Windows 8.1 key available here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

I think by using Windows 8 key, you used Windows 8 activation system, As Windows 8.1 is in development (beta), and the code system was not touched.

So, what are my option now? I don't want to reinstall everything :|

256 SSD for OS

Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 8 without having to reinstall everything?

256 SSD for OS

Try changing the product key and restart the system:

1- Open the command prompt as true Administrator

2- type in: slmgr.vbs -ipk <PRODUCT KEY> (without the '<' and '>'), and hit Enter.

3- restart your computer

Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 8 without having to reinstall everything?

You need to re-install everything.

Same, when the official version of Windows 8.1 will be released. What is known is that when Windows 8.1 official will be released you'll have the option in keep your personal data, but wipe out everything else.

I don't know if you can do the same thing downgrading. See if you have that option when running Windows 8 setup in Windows 8.1.

When I re-installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop, I tried that feature and did an excellent job at keeping my personal files, including test files on the root of C:\, to see how good it is.

But then again, this is 8.1 setup, not 8. I don't know if they were improvement or not. I haven't tried this process in 8.