New Rig - Please help.

Tootrs

Right so, here goes.

This is not my first build, but lots of things have changed so I am hoping for some help.

Basically I want a rig capable of comfortable 4K on one monitor (For gaming, probably will have two monitors for general work and productivity. However there is that possibilty I would get a third monitor. But for now treat this as a 1 monitor set up). I would also like a smaller form factor due to the lack of space I have available. I also kind of want to do a bit of everything with this build. So Slight modding of the appearance haven't decided exactly what yet. Custom water cooled, and overclocking. Bearing in mind I have never done those last three things before.

So what I am asking for is help with:

- 4K Capable 1 Monitor

- Custom Water Cooling

- Overclocking

- Slight Modding w/ colour scheme

I don't have an exact budget right now but if we could see where abouts we could make this build comfortably then ill look at the price and see where I am.

It will be a gaming machine so no need to take video editing and such into consideration.

One last question, I am asking this now just so I have an idea but I truly don't know when I will be able to start on this build. Am I better off waiting? As in when are the next gen of CPUs being released etc?

Cheers

Skylake is being released somewhere around July-August I think, so it'd be worth waiting imo.

I read September for Skylake but who knows. It has been delayed for quite a while already.

Right so, here goes.

This is not my first build, but lots of things have changed so I am hoping for some help.

Basically I want a rig capable of comfortable 4K on one monitor (For gaming, probably will have two monitors for general work and productivity. However there is that possibilty I would get a third monitor. But for now treat this as a 1 monitor set up). I would also like a smaller form factor due to the lack of space I have available. I also kind of want to do a bit of everything with this build. So Slight modding of the appearance haven't decided exactly what yet. Custom water cooled, and overclocking. Bearing in mind I have never done those last three things before.

So what I am asking for is help with:

- 4K Capable 1 Monitor

- Custom Water Cooling

- Overclocking

- Slight Modding w/ colour scheme

I don't have an exact budget right now but if we could see where abouts we could make this build comfortably then ill look at the price and see where I am.

It will be a gaming machine so no need to take video editing and such into consideration.

One last question, I am asking this now just so I have an idea but I truly don't know when I will be able to start on this build. Am I better off waiting? As in when are the next gen of CPUs being released etc?

Cheers

Don't wait for tech unless it's coming out in the next week. Newer and better technologies are always coming out.

Also, what games do you play? Games like CS:GO or LoL would be relatively easy to drive at 4K. However, something like GTA V or Crysis 3 will be far more diffficult. There's no point recommending a GTX 980 Ti if you play LoL, where a GTX 970 should do the job just fine.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Don't wait for tech unless it's coming out in the next week. Newer and better technologies are always coming out.

Also, what games do you play? Games like CS:GO or LoL would be relatively easy to drive at 4K. However, something like GTA V or Crysis 3 will be far more diffficult. There's no point recommending a GTX 980 Ti if you play LoL, where a GTX 970 should do the job just fine.

I play LoL occasionally, but I want to be playing battlefield/ crysis/ witcher. And fallout when it comes out!

Is anyone able to give me a good starting point?

I play LoL occasionally, but I want to be playing battlefield/ crysis/ witcher. And fallout when it comes out!

For a CPU, an i5-4690K will do an excellent job. It's an absolute power house and will do an excellent job of keeping your GPU fed with data. It will also be relevant for longer because it's unlocked. You can overclock it later when your graphics configuration becomes more powerful.

For the kind of games you're wanting to play, the graphics horsepower is not going to be cheap. For Battlefield 4, you could probably get away with one GTX 980 Ti. However, for Crysis 3 and The Witcher 3, you're going to need to run SLI, unless you're willing to run your games with less details and a lower framerate. 4K is SO demanding. The other drawback of 4K is that you've got to take graphics card upgrades into consideration as games become more and more demanding.

If you've already got the 4K monitor, then fair enough. However, if you haven't got it yet, why not go for 1440p instead? It's relatively easy to drive (I'm able to run 1440p off a single GTX 970), and it looks a lot better than 1080p. You could use a GTX 980 Ti and it could probably drive 1440p for 2+ years (take this with a pinch of salt) before you have to upgrade. Not to mention that there are a few 1440p monitors on the market which are really rather cool, like the ASUS PG278Q which is a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. Or the Acer XB270HU which is a 1440p 144Hz IPS (yes, I said IPS) G-Sync panel. I would have gone with the Acer if I had the budget, but due to its hefty price premium, I went for a BenQ GW2765HT instead, and it's absolutely awesome.

In terms of the custom loop, watch loads of JayzTwoCents' videos. He's probably the best guy to learn about custom watercooling. Also, I would get graphics cards with a custom PCB. When you watercool them, thermals are no longer a limiting factor, the PCB is. A beefier power delivery will give you higher overclocks. Also, make sure your case can accomodate a custom loop, so a full tower case would be ideal.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

For a CPU, an i5-4690K will do an excellent job. It's an absolute power house and will do an excellent job of keeping your GPU fed with data. It will also be relevant for longer because it's unlocked. You can overclock it later when your graphics configuration becomes more powerful.

For the kind of games you're wanting to play, the graphics horsepower is not going to be cheap. For Battlefield 4, you could probably get away with one GTX 980 Ti. However, for Crysis 3 and The Witcher 3, you're going to need to run SLI, unless you're willing to run your games with less details and a lower framerate. 4K is SO demanding. The other drawback of 4K is that you've got to take graphics card upgrades into consideration as games become more and more demanding.

If you've already got the 4K monitor, then fair enough. However, if you haven't got it yet, why not go for 1440p instead? It's relatively easy to drive (I'm able to run 1440p off a single GTX 970), and it looks a lot better than 1080p. You could use a GTX 980 Ti and it could probably drive 1440p for 2+ years (take this with a pinch of salt) before you have to upgrade. Not to mention that there are a few 1440p monitors on the market which are really rather cool, like the ASUS PG278Q which is a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. Or the Acer XB270HU which is a 1440p 144Hz IPS (yes, I said IPS) G-Sync panel. I would have gone with the Acer if I had the budget, but due to its hefty price premium, I went for a BenQ GW2765HT instead, and it's absolutely awesome.

In terms of the custom loop, watch loads of JayzTwoCents' videos. He's probably the best guy to learn about custom watercooling. Also, I would get graphics cards with a custom PCB. When you watercool them, thermals are no longer a limiting factor, the PCB is. A beefier power delivery will give you higher overclocks. Also, make sure your case can accomodate a custom loop, so a full tower case would be ideal.

Thanks for replying,

Well this is looking expensive haha

2 way sli or more? And would that be with the 980 ti? or could I drop a model or 2

I will look in to JayzTwoCents. Cheers.

Once I have a price for a 4k rig I will then see if Id rather spend the money on a 1440p rig. I currently dont have a 4k monitor but I do have a 4k tv thats all.

Thanks for replying,

Well this is looking expensive haha

2 way sli or more? And would that be with the 980 ti? or could I drop a model or 2

I will look in to JayzTwoCents. Cheers.

Once I have a price for a 4k rig I will then see if Id rather spend the money on a 1440p rig. I currently dont have a 4k monitor but I do have a 4k tv thats all.

You could get two-way SLI GTX 970's, but I would personally go for a single GTX 980 Ti. You should always endeavour to have a single graphics card configuration over SLI. You will get scaling issues when it comes to SLI, and for the games that don't support it, your second card will be sitting there doing nothing.

I would honestly pick up a single GTX 980 Ti with an i5-4690K (or i7-4790K if your needs require it) and call it a day.

The price of the 4K rig depends on how demanding the games will be. For the games you're talking about, 2-way SLI GTX 970's MAY make it, but a safer bet would be 2-way GTX 980 Ti's. You might be able to get away with a single GTX 980 Ti if you put in a significant overclock, but bare in mind that some games will not be able to be run at 60 fps. You would have to pick up a second card for that (which comes with drawbacks, of course). Another option is R9 390X's in Xfire, but some people aren't fond of AMD for whatever reason. The AMD approach would be cheaper and have more usable VRAM which will make sense for the future, but the GTX 980 Ti is just more powerful.

A 1440p rig would make more sense from a value standpoint. Whilst a lot of video content, namely big channel or movie stuff, won't really support 1440p, they will support 4K. Seeing as you've already got a 4K TV, then winner. Using a PC on a TV is a ball ache, I wouldn't bother.

Also, don't make your component choices based on what DX12 will bring to the table. We actually DON'T know what it will be bringing, only promises and speculation. Buy your components for what makes sense NOW.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

You could get two-way SLI GTX 970's, but I would personally go for a single GTX 980 Ti. You should always endeavour to have a single graphics card configuration over SLI. You will get scaling issues when it comes to SLI, and for the games that don't support it, your second card will be sitting there doing nothing.

I would honestly pick up a single GTX 980 Ti with an i5-4690K (or i7-4790K if your needs require it) and call it a day.

The price of the 4K rig depends on how demanding the games will be. For the games you're talking about, 2-way SLI GTX 970's MAY make it, but a safer bet would be 2-way GTX 980 Ti's. You might be able to get away with a single GTX 980 Ti if you put in a significant overclock, but bare in mind that some games will not be able to be run at 60 fps. You would have to pick up a second card for that (which comes with drawbacks, of course). Another option is R9 390X's in Xfire, but some people aren't fond of AMD for whatever reason. The AMD approach would be cheaper and have more usable VRAM which will make sense for the future, but the GTX 980 Ti is just more powerful.

A 1440p rig would make more sense from a value standpoint. Whilst a lot of video content, namely big channel or movie stuff, won't really support 1440p, they will support 4K. Seeing as you've already got a 4K TV, then winner. Using a PC on a TV is a ball ache, I wouldn't bother.

Also, don't make your component choices based on what DX12 will bring to the table. We actually DON'T know what it will be bringing, only promises and speculation. Buy your components for what makes sense NOW.

So If I got a 980 ti, would you be reccomending the G1 like most people? I don't get the hate on AMD. I mean they do seem to be lagging behind hence the more power from the 980 ti. So value wise the AMD route would be better?

Just had a quick look on part picker.

Cheapest I can get the 980 G1 model is £640. 2 390x would cost me £660. After seeing that what would you reccomend?

Just had a quick look on part picker.

Cheapest I can get the 980 G1 model is £640. 2 390x would cost me £660. After seeing that what would you reccomend?

I would love to say the GTX 980 Ti, but 2 390X's is a very compelling proposition. :')

The 390X by itself is a very powerful card, only slightly bested by the non-Ti GTX 980. However, 2 of those puppies in Xfire would be an absolute power house.

The drawbacks of SLI apply to Xfire as well.

This would be a good setup for 4K, do bare in mind the extra heat output, power consumption and compatibility issues.

You also won't get as good performance in titles which use the Gameworks program. Furthermore, for titles that don't support Xfire, the second 390X will just sit there doing nothing.

You also need a good quality power supply with sufficient wattage to power those cards.

However, if you don't have an issue with using AMD cards (and without you wanting specific Nvidia features), Xfire 390X's would be an excellent choice.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Im presuming I would need an nvidia card if to say I wanted to get the Shield TV when it comes out in the UK. And I want to stream games to it?